Bed extension

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

10 - 12 years ago I bought a Jet 12x21VS. I would like to laminate some boards together for a walking stick and thought I'd check into a bed extension. Went to the place I bought it. Was told they don't make that model anymore and I can't get bed extensions that will work. I check online and there a bunch of them out there for $200 plus but there's no guarantee they will fit my model.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just make 3 sections 20" long and join them somehow.

Thoughts????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I would continue with your plan, but I would pick up a pair of brass ferrules to join each section securely ... get them from a pool or billiards repair/supply store.

Curly

If you only intend to turn one or a few you could make a bed extension of a hardwood like Maple or White Oak and attach it to your bench. Then your lathe is as long as you need it. It doesn't have to be a faithful copy of the cast iron bed of your lathe. Just the bed height and gap are most important. After all at one time all lathes had wood beds and in some places in the world, still do.

Top Bottom