Bearing Replacement in Live Centre?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

Has anyone ever tried replacing the bearing in a PSI 60 Degree Live Centre
with a better quality bearing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Seriously doubt you can replace any bearings in any of PSI's live centers with out destroying them. So recommend just replacing your current center. Just about all vendors catering to woodturners sell similar 60 degree centers. Price may vary but a dollar one way or the other not as important as cost to ship!

If looking for an inexpensive replacement this HF live center might be the ticket if have a store near you. I would prefer a live center have a higher RPM rating but for less than $30 with sales tax and no shipping required should work okay for pens and other small turnings.

Harbor Freight
MT2 Live Center

If have a Grizzly catalog go to pages 699 & 700 and look at their live centers for under $75 including shipping.

KenV

The line about jeweled bearings on the ox cart comes to mind.

For $53 delivered if you are a prime member the Nova interchangable tip live center has 2 60 degree points (small one and a larger one). Mine have runout of about 3 thousands.

Frank Wilda sells a mandrel saver insert for abou $20

qquake

If looking for an inexpensive replacement this HF live center might be the ticket if have a store near you. I would prefer a live center have a higher RPM rating but for less than $30 with sales tax and no shipping required should work okay for pens and other small turnings.

Harbor Freight
MT2 Live Center

I've got one of the Harbor Freight live centers that I've had for over ten years. It's on its second lathe, and still going strong. I've often wondered if the bearings are replaceable, but it would require some sort of spanner wrench.

Attachments

• live_center01.jpg
    live_center01.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 166
  • live_center02.jpg
    live_center02.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 130
  • live_center03.jpg
    live_center03.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 132
  • live_center04.jpg
    live_center04.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 150

Wildman

Nova live center very popular with lot of turners looking for a multi-purpose live center, personally feel lot better than One-Way price wise. I didn't check on shipping at thee places but prices range little higher than $53 delivered. Guess if shop around may find prices lower than what I found.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source
Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-cent-revtail-nova

Buy Nova Live Center System at Woodcraft.com

Buy Nova Live Center System at Woodcraft.com

Nova Live Center System, #2MT

Those inexpensive $25 pen turners live centers from PSI and others work well but when go bad not sure worth fixing. Any live center with 60 degree point will work just fine. Beauty of that Harbor Freight center whether have a mini, midi, or full size lathe is going to the store and looking at it before you buy. After reading reviews not sure would order one from them after reading fourth review.

There are a couple of videos on You Tube showing how to take apart a live center to clean, & replace bearings, but not one for PSI or HF. There is also some great videos on that Nova live center.

Back in 1996 bought a G1293 high precision 60 degree live center and still use it. Of course no longer in the catalog for 29.95 + 4.95 shipping. Bought it to replace live center that came with my second lathe (Delta) and used it on my Jet mini, and now 1642. Have multi-tip center that came with my Jet 1642 but seldom use it.

Marmotjr

While just buying new is probably the best option, my PSI live center back plate kept coming off. I put a dab of CA on it to hold it in place. It appeared to me that getting to the bearing would be fairly easy to do. Getting it out and replaced, I don't know.

KenV

If you can, check the runout on the live center before investing time and money into retrofit.

Cheap live centers, like cheap drill chucks tend to have lots more runout.

dogcatcher

I got my live centers at the Little Machine Shop. I have no idea of comparison of costs or quality. I needed some other things so I added 3 different live centers in an order years ago. I have used them on both my metal and wood lathes without any problems.

If one of them fails, it will be replaced by another from LMS. https://littlemachineshop.com/products/search.php?tabName=Products&term=live+center

Of all of the live centers I have this is my favorite, at $113 it is pricey, but well worth it.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4544&category=

Top Bottom