Beall Collet chuck question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I made quite a haul this Christmas. :) Among the great items I received was a beall collet chuck.

When I look inside the nut of the chuck I see a rim that holds the collet. This rim seems sanded or ground down on one side.

Can someone look at theirs and tell me if this is normal? I assume it is like that so the collet can be angled to one side to be removed? Just not sure. I have not had one or seen one up close before. Thanks for any help.

randyrls

When I look inside the nut of the chuck I see a rim that holds the collet. This rim seems sanded or ground down on one side.

Ron; It is normal. The normal procedure is to insert the collet into the threaded nut with a slight sideways tilt and push in. The ring inside the nut catches on the groove machined into the collet. Then thread the nut onto the chuck. If everything is in spec, the collet will not fall out. These days however that isn't likely. Now, load the stock or work piece into the collet and tighten.

To release the work piece, unscrew the nut until it "pops" the collet loose. As you loosen the nut, it will begin to act like it is getting tighter, keep loosening, and the collet will come free.

To remove the collet from the nut, take the nut off the chuck and twist the collet sideways to release the ring.

brownsfn2

Thanks. I just saw JohnyCNC's video on the beall and he said not all collets will snap in and stay in by themselves. I think I understand now. I was just worried I had a defect. Thanks so much!!

Top Bottom