Beall Clone at PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Mudder mentioned this in another thread; but I think it is of enough interest to merit its own thread. PSI has come out with an inexpensive version of the collet chuck we all know as the Beall.

It sure looks like a pretty close copy of the Beall. It will be interesting to see if any issues develop relative to patent infringements.

I've sent an email to PSI to see if those are ER32 collets.

http://www.pennstateind.com/catalog/p/079.htm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

According to the Beall web site, their chuck and a set of collets runs $163 so the savings is actually $73 unless you can find it discounted somewhere.

One nice feature of the PSI chuck is that no wrench is required to loosen or tighten the chuck. The collar is heavily knurled and there is a knurled ring on the body for a good hand grip.

stevers

I'd sure like to see someones critique of this chuck. I've been looking to pick one up in the not too distant future. Like to do some closed end stuff and maybe switch to a diff set up on my mandrel. Not to mention drilling on the lathe.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />Well, I don't see enough of a savings to warrant buying this one. The extra $50 bucks to get a Beall is worth it to me. JMHO

To each their own but already having a Beall and having to constantly use a wrench to loosen the chuck, I would be willing to pay MORE for this chuck just for the knurled knob feature.

I would wager that both are made offshore so whoever comes up with the best price would get my business.

I think it's a heck of a deal!

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />According to the Beall web site, their chuck and a set of collets runs $163 so the savings is actually $73 unless you can find it discounted somewhere.

One nice feature of the PSI chuck is that no wrench is required to loosen or tighten the chuck. The collar is heavily knurled and there is a knurled ring on the body for a good hand grip.

Well, I stand corrected. It is a good deal and only $10 bucks more than the WC. Thanks Randy.

ashaw

I will picking one up shorty. They are do to come in 11/09/07. That was the latest date I could get from PSI. I have one from WC and hate it. Mainly do to the runout I had with it.

Randy_

Alan: Be sure to post your comments about the chuck when you have checked it out. If this turns out to be a decent quality tool, it is going to be something that a lot of folks will want to add to their inventory.

stevers

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Alan: Be sure to post your comments about the chuck when you have checked it out. If this turns out to be a decent quality tool, it is going to be something that a lot of folks will want to add to their inventory.

Please, what he said.[:)][:)]

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Got one of these for my metal lathe (with a M3 taper)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ER32-MT2-COLLET-CHUCK-KEY-CNC-MILLING-LATHE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ110184751233QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25294QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

ER32 collets also available from many suppliers on ebay. I do have the Beall for my wood lathe, but this one works just as well for me. Would recommend getting as large a set of collets as you can afford. The 5 piece has a limited range, good for mandrels but there is so much more you can use these for as you customize parts. Save the money here and buy a 18 piece set if you can. I got delivery from Hong Kong in 7 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom