The Bare Minimum?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I was posed this question at work today by a guy that wants to start turning pens.

What is the Bare Minimum I would need to turn some pens?

So I thought about it for a while. Here is what I came up with

1. Lathe
2. Some kind of carbide turning tool.
3. Chuck for the lathe
4. Drill bits
5. Sandpaper
6. CA Glue
7. Pen Kits
8. Pen Bushings

What are some of your thoughts on the Bare Minimum to make pens? Fire Away

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Add some way to cut and trim pen blanks. My personal preference would be 5-minute Epoxy rather than CA glue for tubes. Add some type of finish or polish.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Add some way to cut and trim pen blanks. My personal preference would be 5-minute Epoxy rather than CA glue for tubes. Add some type of finish or polish.

Epoxy for tubes and CA for the finish. And maybe a cheap cut off saw at Harbor freight

JimB

They need a way to drill the blank and drill bits. Also a way to square the ends of the blank either a pen mill or sanding. Both drilling and squaring can be on the lathe.

I'm not sure why you listed a chuck as I didn't have one to turn pens.

I'm also not sure why you say carbide tool. I started with HSS and a $20 grinder I already had. You can turn a complete pen with a small roughing gouge or a Spindle gouge.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
They need a way to drill the blank and drill bits. Also a way to square the ends of the blank either a pen mill or sanding. Both drilling and squaring can be on the lathe.

I'm also not sure why you say carbide tool. I started with HSS and a $20 grinder I already had. You can turn a complete pen with a small roughing gouge or a Spindle gouge.

A chuck was to hold the blank while you drill on the lathe. And carbide tool was to keep from buying a grinder. No need to sharpen, just rotate the bit

JimB

A chuck was to hold the blank while you drill on the lathe. And carbide tool was to keep from buying a grinder. No need to sharpen, just rotate the bit

If he will drill on the lathe then add a Jacobs chuck to hold the drill bit.

As far as carbide vs HSS I know that is a matter of preference. I own both. However, you can buy a Spindle gouge and inexpensive grinder for less than a carbide tool.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I started with HSS tools. Bought a slow speed grinder at Rockler for around $80.00 used it one time. Spotted the carbide tool Ken made, sold the grinder for $60.00 and bought the carbide tool, I think around $45.00 Zero minutes sharpening. I think that counts toward the Bare Minimum. :wink::biggrin:

Marmotjr

If you're talking bare minimum, forget epoxy, just start with CA. It's both a glue and a finish. And unless you're really tricky, Epoxy isn't a finish.

But, they both have a variety of uses outside of pen turning, so it's always nice to have a selection of both.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I think Mark has the answer. Just find a buddy that has a nice shop. Then all you have to buy is pen kits and Beer! Although I know a few guys that can put away some beer :)

Top Bottom