Banjo adaptor/mod?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I got a McNaughton Standard set for Christmas (remind me to make a pile of bowls for my brother...) and discovered that my Craftsman lathe has an oddball tool rest diameter.

The stock tool posts are 22mm, which from my reading seems to be unique to this particular lathe. The McNaughton set comes stock with a 1" tool post, but you can get 5/8" posts for it. They are only recommended for the mini set, but are compatible with the standard version.

As I see it, I have a few options:

1. Have a new tool post made for the McNaughton with the stock diameter on top and a 22mm post.

2. Buy the 5/8" post and make a bushing/adapter to fit that into the 22mm banjo.

3. Bore out my existing banjo to 1" and either make an adapter for my existing tool rests or buy new tool rests.

4. Buy another banjo from another lathe that is already 1" and swap them as necessary.

Option 2 just scares me. I don't think I want to use an undersized post, even if it is technically compatible. Option 1 is similarly bad, but the diameter difference is much less.

Option 3 seemed like the best idea to me initially because the adapter for my existing tool rests could just be a piece of 1/16" shim stock wrapped around the existing posts. The banjo currently has a hair over 1/2" all the way around, so taking 1.75mm off that wall thickness would not have a major effect on its strength. That also gives me the option of buying off the shelf tool rests in the future as it is now a standard size. The big drawback here is the price of a 1" drill bit and/or a long enough end mill to bore that out.

Once option 4 occurred to me, it seemed like a better plan. That way I don't have to do any mods to my existing equipment and I still get the benefits of having a standard tool post diameter. The problem here is that I don't really know how to determine if another banjo is compatible.

--------------------
Bottom line: I think the best option is to buy a banjo with a 1" tool post that will fit my craftsman 351.217170 lathe. Can anyone tell me how to determine if one is compatible or not? Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with (cash or trades)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

Great Christmas present, I would go with option 1. Having the tool post turned down would be the cheapest option as it is only about 1/8" in diameter taken off .
If you work out the center height and have the part that fits in the banjo reduced leaving a shoulder, it will be automatically set to the correct height.
Perhaps one of the members living close by, has a metal lathe that can do it for you.
Kryn

Hexhead

I made a brass ring that slips around my tool post with a drilled & taped set screw 1/4x28. I just set it to the hight I want and tighten the set screw. 2 C's

The Penguin

I'd go option 3 - and find a local machine shop to do the boring for you.

I bet you could get it done for $20 or so.

rherrell

I wouldn't bore out the banjo, if you do then all the stuff you already have won't fit. Send me the post and I'll turn it down for you...no charge...Merry Xmas!

frank123

I'd go #2.

Just make a sleeve to put over the 5/8 post and secure it to the post with locktite. It can be removed at will by heating and your tooling and machine are still in stock condition and take or fit anything made specifically for it.

I make mismatched things fit this way all the time and find it is far better to alter the (new) part to fit the machine than alter the machine to fit the part if possible. The more easily reversible a modification is the better, it's far easier to take metal off than to put it back on.

ldubia

I would go to option 4 and find the piece that fits the ways to lock it down or have one cut. If it is a replacement part for your lathe then it could be drilled or whatever to fit the new banjo. Then the banjos would both fit the lathe, and all your equipment would be compatible to what you have now. Just my .02 cents worth and worth every dime.

Top Bottom