Bandsaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmvernon

My wife gave me the go on a band saw. I can only spend 650 shipped. Any recommendations? Also, how useful are they for day to day use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

You could do a lot worse than the Grizzly G0555 (or its variants, G0555LX, LANV, etc.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "useful for day to day use" -- if your day to day requirement is to cut pieces of wood, these will definitely do the job.

Marmotjr

In a recent thread on another forum, there were a few very intelligent people on either side of the debate of would they rather have a table saw or a band saw first.

As a turner, unless you are doing segmented work, I see little use for a table saw, most of my turning related work is done on the bandsaw. And if you have a good miter gauge and properly tuned blade, you could probably be able to do segments to, but you might need a mitered shooting board for this.

With A well tuned bandsaw with a fence and a crosscut sled (yes, bandsaw crosscut sled), and a variety of blades for different uses, there is very little you can't do. If you are comfortable with hand tools (planes in particular), then is almost nothing you can't do with a bandsaw. A bandsaw is arguably the most versatile tool in the shop.

With only a bandsaw, sandpaper and finish, you can literally take a rough log to a finished product. Add a few more simple tools and there is very little you can't do.

The biggest key with a bandsaw is tuning it. I am far from good at tuning my saw, but I get close enough to get acceptable results. There are many excellent guides and videos on the net about how to properly tune a bandsaw. Do not expect it to be tuned right out of the box, each time you change blades it will need retuned.

If it doesn't come with a fence, build one, they are simple to make. They are only a L shaped piece of wood that only has to be square to the table, then clamp it down.

Last edited:

Rick_G

I have a cheap Chinese knockoff and after watching Alex Snodgrass on utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU
I got it tuned up and it works like a charm.
I do both lathe and flatwork and use the band saw nearly every day I am in the shop. Never use the tablesaw for ripping lumber any more and the band saw does a great job of cutting circles for my bowl blanks.
Don't know what kind of work you are doing but if you do get the Grizzly or one of it's variants mentioned by duncsuss I would suggest getting the riser block kit at the same time. It will increase your cutting thickness from 6" to 12" and if you decide later you want to turn bowls as well you will be glad you did.

wouldentu2?

I have a delta 14" and the 1/2" 3 tip blade is in it 99% of the time. It is nice to have if you are doing a variety of wood working.

NVSB4

I've had the G0555 for years and it's been a great saw.
Spend the money on good blades and you'll be looking for additional things to use it for.

Top Bottom