Bandsaw woe is me...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I have a Jet Bandsaw (JWBS-14CS) that has served me well. It is stock, with a Jet riser block. A couple of weeks ago, a friend was using it, and accidentally bumped the blade while it was running and the blade ate the upper wheel protector (tire).

Woodcraft had a sale on their Urethane tires, and I bought two of them. They were the ones the salesman recommended, but I noted the wheels on my bandsaw had 1" recessed tracks for the tires to sit in, and these tires were about 7/8" wide. I put them on and, after adjusting the tracking, bearings and guides (the ones that came with the bandsaw), it seemed OK.

Today I was preparing to turn some VERY wet Apricot and I used the bandsaw to cut the material so I could mount it and do an initial turning. After trimming and cutting the blank round, the blade (1/4") got really gummed up; the tires shifted all around, and everything started to sound kind of bad.

Bottom line, I think I need to upgrade to one of the Bandsaw stabilizers, like either the Carter or Jet. I will also buy the tires from Jet (the reason I didn't before was that one supplier said that Jet doesn't make them any more....not true). And I need recommendations regarding blades.

Questions for you folks:
1. What blade do you recommend for general work? I don't use the bandsaw in any sort of production work, but I would like to find something that wouldn't get gummed up after cutting one wet blank (if that is possible). TPI? Size? Etc?

2. I have read reviews that there are some problems with folks having to modify their saw to use either of the stabilizers. Any of you experienced with this? Recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I am on my second set of urethane tires and have no problems, but use either 3/8" or 1/2" blades. I buy Lenox carbon steel flex back 3 TPI hook blades and they work well for me.

So no help wih Carter stablizer kit, most folks with them give them rave reviews using 1/4" or less blades.

Have no proble cutting wet bowl blanks on my saw, but when resawing wet blanks even using a sled, blade can gum up depending upon species of wood. Have learned to wait a bit before cutting really wet wood due to gumming up the blade. Found spraying PAM on the blade helps some but not completely. Besides wife normally take my can of the stuff. Waiting couple weeks or month or so makes life whole lot easier.

I have kinked a gummy blade and had to replace it cutting wet wood. So will stop cutting at first sign of gumming try to back blank out with saw on or off . Have use mineral spirits to clean the blade.

hilltopper46

For processing wood I like the Woodturners Blade that Highland Woodworking sells. It is a 3/8 inch blade, "its 3 TPI, alternate set w/ raker tooth pattern & stout band thickness of .032 inch"

KenV

Warren

I (and others) have found that ball bearing guides and wet wood are a high maintenance combination. The conclusion I reached was that I could rig for wet with guide blocks set loose, or set for dryer wood with bearing guides. Bearings for the guides I have are not sealed well enough to throw into mineral spirits with out removing grease from the races shortening usable life.

I have the carter stabilizer and it is very good for very small blades. 1/4 is probably too large, and 3/8 for sure is too large.

The alternative is to rough with a chainsaw or have two sets of guides if you want to turn wet resinous woods an dry woods

Cutting wax applied to the blade helps shed gunk and is easy to apply.

Warren White

Ken,

KenV;193852I have the carter stabilizer and it is very good for very small blades. 1/4 is probably too large said:
I haven't done the research yet, but are you saying that the Carter stabilizer won't work on a blade larger than 1/4"? Kind of rules it out for me.

I am not sure what "cutting wax" is. Can you elaborate?

Warren White

My thanks to everyone!

I have learned my lesson, that is for sure.

If I continue with this REALLY wet wood, I won't cut it on the bandsaw. I might try a Sawzall. I have access to a chain saw to get it close to turnable, then the Sawzall to get it close to round.

I will try cleaning the blade, but will look into the suggestions offered.

Thank you once again!

KenV

KenV;193852I have the carter stabilizer and it is very good for very small blades. 1/4 is probably too large said:
I haven't done the research yet, but are you saying that the Carter stabilizer won't work on a blade larger than 1/4"? Kind of rules it out for me.

I am not sure what "cutting wax" is. Can you elaborate?

Warren, the stabalizer is a wheel with a groove that replaces the top guide and the lower guides are removed. Perfect for 1/8_inch blades and 3/16 stock which are hard to fit into standard carter bearing guides and wool ok in cool blocks, bit tend to chew the blocks up. So you have a wide blade running with the back edge in that little groove and no lateral support near the teeth. Runs wonky with the least side pressure causing wavy tracking.

Cutting wax is like cutting oil but stiff and more solid. I use it with hack saws and bandsaws. On bandsaw it stays around longer than pam spray and helps keep wet wood swarf from sticking. Cutting tool places have it. I push the stick on the back of the blade. Wipe off tires from time to time.

Spinzwood

Warren, I have never changed tires on my Jet.. yet. However, I was watching a video on maintenance.. which included tire changing. The video did indicate that the tires should be glued in place. I forget what the glue is.. but, likely a rubber cement of some sort.. precisely to prevent shifting.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

KenV

Warren, I have never changed tires on my Jet.. yet. However, I was watching a video on maintenance.. which included tire changing. The video did indicate that the tires should be glued in place. I forget what the glue is.. but, likely a rubber cement of some sort.. precisely to prevent shifting.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Glue is not recommended with the use of urethane tires, but is used with rubber tires.

Urethane tires are a replacement item for many bandsaws and I and well satisfied with them on my now "older" 14 inch saw.

bmachin

I'm not sure you'll find the answer to your question here or not, but every time a bandsaw discussion comes up, I always chime in and recommend that you call Iturra Design at (904) 642-2802 and ask for their catalog. I can't remember if it's free or not, but There is a wealth of knowledge an all things bandsaw. Probably more than you will find in one place anywhere else.

Bill

Top Bottom