bandsaw wheel alignment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

wheel alignment question for the tool gurus out there...

after finally taking time to examine my bandsaw and tune it up, i noticed that the wheels are drastically out of alignment. 1.5 inches or so, which seems like a lot to me. i checked this after taking the tension off and removing the blade.

my question is this, should i be checking the wheel alignment with a blade on and tensioned or when nothing is on it?

thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

Seems to me that you'd have a heck of a time keeping the blade on the wheels at all if it were off that much. What method did you use to determine alignment? Usual method is to remove the table, and use a long straight edge that spans both wheels. Place it off the side of the axles, and it should touch the upper and lower rim of both wheels. Tell us your method, so we all can better understand what's going on.

ahoiberg

that's how i did it, i held the straight edge flush with the bottom wheel and it was off considerably on the top. i've got both wheels off right now and there's no way to adjust the position of the top one, so when i replace them i'll just line the bottom one up with the top with my long straight edge. the 1/8 blade i was trying unsuccessfully to track ended up being warped in the same offset orientation that the wheels were in. i bought the bandsaw used and didn't feel up to the task until now, hopefully things will start working better once i get the new urethane wheels on, realign the wheels, install a brush, etc...

Randy_

Originally posted by ahoiberg<br />.....my question is this, should i be checking the wheel alignment with a blade on and tensioned or when nothing is on it?

I don't know about your BS; but on mine the alignment needs to be measured with the blade on and tensioned. With the blade off and no tension the upper wheel sort of flops around on the tracking mechanism and there would be no way to get a proper idea of whether the wheels were aligned or not.

I think you might find your wheels are not anywhere close to being 1.5" out of line if you check them with the blade on and under tension,

Mikey

What kind of bandsaw is it? On most 14" and larger units, the bottom is fixed and the top wheel has all the adjustment. Even the oldest Delt 14" units can be adjusted at the top quite a bit. As mentioned, put a blade on and tension, but not too tight. you want to be able to adjust. The blade under tension is really only there to keep the wheels pulled together.

ahoiberg

it's a craftsman 12" and the top wheel just mounts on with two bolts with the tilt adjustment screw in the middle of the wheel, so there's nowhere to slide it in or out, the bottom wheel however has a hex screw keeping it in place and some room for movement. i'll get a blade lightly tensioned and take a measurement to report and adjust it accordingly. thanks for the replies.

Rifleman1776

All good advice so far. With the saw being used, it is possible your tires are worn and the tiny, 1/8" blade, may just be trying to follow the wear pattern off the edge. Tires can be replaced. BTW, I align with blade on and tension on.

Mikey

I think you'll see that those tilt adjustment screws can help align that wheel more than you think. Give it a try. (unless the wheels are already parallel, just offset)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom