Which bandsaw to pick?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hi,

I've been looking to buy my first bandsaw. I'm making pens for the most part, but as well as other woodworking projects like bowls, cutting boards Ect.

So I have around $300 to spend. I've been researching for a few weeks. The ones I like the most would be...

WEN 3962 10-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight

WEN 3962 10-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight

OR

RIKON 10" Bench Top Bandsaw, Model 10-305

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-305

Honorable Mentions...

GRIZZLY-G0803 - 9" Benchtop Bandsaw

9" Benchtop Bandsaw | Grizzly Industrial

Thank you for all your wonderful help. I've looking forward and exited to what you have to say about these band saws.

James

ddae32e739c5fac86299a60f3bb4a806.jpg
fc6381a2a45396678dcc4a0b9b417150.jpg
c6eb6356d452447f39bfffb56903e36d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

James; I just brought home a floor model used Jet bandsaw with a riser kit. It has a depth of cut about 12" so you can round out larger bowl blanks. All the table top saws are limited to 6" typically 5" and cannot be increased. With the riser kit, you need a longer blade length.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Go somewhere that has a show room (like Woodcraft, Rockler, etc) and get someone to show you all the ins and outs of using the tool, making adjustments, changing blades, etc. and see which you really like & will serve your purposes best.

I have a small 10" Craftsman workbench saw that I've had for over 30 years. It has served me well and I still use it to cut pen blanks to length and other things, but it's very limited for general use and a pain to remove the cowl to change belts.

I bought a floor-standing Rikon 10-325 a couple of years ago and I really like it. It has since been replaced with the 10-326 and while it's outside your stated budget, I highly recommend checking it out & comparing it to the 10-305 you're considering. The 10-326 is more rugged, easier to use, and doesn't require a riser to get maximum resaw capacity.

FWIW, I have never regretted buying more tool than my budget allowed.

Noot17

I'm also in the market for a new (or used) bandsaw. Currently just have an old 7" bench top that is probably 50 years old and has minimal adjustability and cuts no where near to straight.

I've been looking at the Rikon 10-324 or the upgraded 10-326. Edgar - in your opinion is the 10-326 worth the extra money, or would the 324 be sufficient? Besides open/closed stand are the differences pretty noticeable?

Jeremymc98

I have the 10-350 and enjoy the saw. Overall great quality and performance for the cost with 1 exception. The miter slot is 5/8" instead of 3/4" and finding a miter gauge to fit is impossible!!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm also in the market for a new (or used) bandsaw. Currently just have an old 7" bench top that is probably 50 years old and has minimal adjustability and cuts no where near to straight.

I've been looking at the Rikon 10-324 or the upgraded 10-326. Edgar - in your opinion is the 10-326 worth the extra money, or would the 324 be sufficient? Besides open/closed stand are the differences pretty noticeable?

The obvious differences are the closed stand & slightly more powerful motor, but check the blade guides on them. I believe the 10-326 uses the newer style that do not require tools to adjust while the 10-324 may still use the older style that require Allen wrenches to adjust. If so, that alone is well worth the price difference.

My 10-325 had the old style & the bearings wore out in a couple of years. The new style replacements had just come out shortly before my old ones failed,so I went with those & I really like them.

Ambidex

I'd vote for the rikon...I don't work for them but have had nothing but good experiences with their products and their customer service. Like several vendors here, the customer service has gotten me to become dedicated customer for life.

eharri446

I got a flier in my email yesterday that said that Woodcraft was having a 15% off sale on all RIKON products.

That might sweeten the deal somewhat.

MRDucks2

I bought the 10-324 in November and am quite happy with it. Go ahead and pick up a better blade while you are there, I believe the Timberwolf blades are still 20% off at Woodcraft. I broke my first Timberwolf resaw blade (read directions first, I never heard of a low tension bandsaw blade) and wore out the blade that came with it cuttting about 300-400 blanks from logs. The 10-324 is good value for the money and I don't mind either the open stand or Allen wrenches, the average users will not be adjusting those settings a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dieseldoc

If it were me I would wait and save up some cash and get a 14" saw.
I started out with small bench saw, lack of power, poor blade guides.
Went to a powermatic 14 saw and latter added Rikon larger saw.

jxdubbs

So with all the great feed back I got from you guys was awesome and I appreciate all the help and advice. I think I might wait a little bit longer. Same some money for a 14" also going to be hitting all the classified and buy and sell sites. Until then what could I use to cut my blanks until then? A jigsaw? A table saw my dad has. Any other suggestions?

Dieseldoc

So with all the great feed back I got from you guys was awesome and I appreciate all the help and advice. I think I might wait a little bit longer. Same some money for a 14" also going to be hitting all the classified and buy and sell sites. Until then what could I use to cut my blanks until then? A jigsaw? A table saw my dad has. Any other suggestions?

Table saw will work very good

jxdubbs

Even with acrylics?

Last edited:

Dieseldoc

Even with acrylics?

Yep!! Use s thin nerf bade.

Dieseldoc

Even with acrylics?

Yep!! Use s thin nerf bade.

Typo error, kerf blade

Top Bottom