Bandsaw log cutting sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SamThePenMan

That video from wood magazine was interesting. Now if only I had a bandsaw :( I wonder how many pen blanks could have been made from that huge block of spalted maple. :)

Skye

Tell me about it.

I've seen some decent ones for around $200 on craigslist used, but you need to make sure whatever you get has enough clearance and has the chutzpah to spin a resaw band.

Paul in OKC

I built one for a guy once that used bar clamps to hold the ends of the stock. The bar was run through a pieceof aluminum angle at each end. Have to see how it worked for him, and if I still have a pic.

Paul in OKC

Well, I can't seem to find the pic. But it was made of MDF and some aluminum angle. Made a sled about 8 inches wide and about 18 inches long, routed a 3/4 slot in the bottom for a track piece. Used a piece of 3/8 by 3/4 aluminum for the track. Drilled a 3/4 hole in the angle pieces in what would be the 'front upper corner', and mounted it on the MDF to hold the pipe parallel to the slot, about 12" apart, and used some pipe clamps to hold the log, or whatever. Blade pressure would keep it held down, but a clamp could be added there, too. Would hold up to about a 6" diameter piece about 12" long. I'll keep looking for the pic, or try to make a sketch of it.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Here's a picture of the jig I use to cut logs. It will only handle logs up to 2 feet in diameter and 20 feet long, but I find that's usually sufficient for pen blanks ;)

Eric

Attachments

• Bandmill.jpg
    Bandmill.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,739

Fred

Yea, Rick, I do believe you could cut a few blanks with that serious rig.

Since you have the equipment and can cut millions within a few minutes, do you have any "extras" that you need to get rid of? I am sure that some of the folks around here on the Forum could use a few extra .75"x.75"x240" blanks.

Of course shipping just might be a bit of a problem, especially into Canada and overseas. :biggrin:

rjwolfe3

My dad and I just built the one featured in Wood magazine. It works a lot better then cutting by hand. I was able to slice some oak and sassafras yesterday with ease. I have a friend that told me anytime I want I can pick thru his firewood pile for any kind of wood I want. My only question for those that use this jig is what do you do when you get to the last two inches of material? I am worried about cutting the screws with the bandsaw on that last inch.

Top Bottom