Bandsaw jig for trimming blank corners?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Gray

I am trying to trim the 90 degree corners off of some square acrylic blanks and/or wooden ones. Has anyone made a jig to do this or seen where I could information on such? My idea is to make something adjustable for different size blanks that slides in the miter slot on one of my bandsaws, I have a 14" saw and a smaller Craftsmen the will only cut something that's under 3" high.
HELP!!!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I do believe that there might be a tutorial in the library. I know that there have been several jigs posted here before. Let me see if I can find one for you.

robutacion

I am trying to trim the 90 degree corners off of some square acrylic blanks and/or wooden ones. Has anyone made a jig to do this or seen where I could information on such? My idea is to make something adjustable for different size blanks that slides in the miter slot on one of my bandsaws, I have a 14" saw and a smaller Craftsmen the will only cut something that's under 3" high.
HELP!!!!

Hi John,

I think that I have put pics of my jig on this forum somewhere, maybe on someone else's post but I can show you what I've done for the pen blanks and it works really well, particularly the improved version on my first one. I cut (remove the square corners) a lot I mean, hundreds at the time sometimes, and it takes no time at all to do a few, just magic...!:wink::biggrin:

You should be able to work out how to do it, if not shoot any questions you have and I will try to help you through...!

Now..., where did I put those pics...???:confused::rolleyes::biggrin:

OK, found my original jig pics...! put these ones first and I will come back with the improved version...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1174_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1174_(1).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,358
  • timber preparation 1175_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1175_(1).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 707
  • timber preparation 1179_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1179_(1).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 949
  • timber preparation 1180a_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1180a_(1).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,974

monophoto

How large are you trying to go? You can't turn the corners off on the lathe?

It depends on what I'm turning. In the case of pen blanks, I just put them on a mandrel and turn. Likewise bottle stoppers. But if the blank is larger, I generally prefer to knock the corners off on a saw.

Actually, the safety instructions that came with my lathe say that if the blank is larger than 3", the corners must be cut off before turning. I tend to take published safety recommendations seriously.

Woodlvr

I bought one from Hut years ago when I started turning and it is brand new never used on the shelf. Wish that it was worth shipping I would get rid of it.

Top Bottom