Bandsaw blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSpavin

For all you bandsaw users out there. Which size and form of blade is best to use for obtaining the smoothest cuts? (for celtic knot making)

I use a 5/8 inch blade (Its the largest my saw will take) with 4 TPI in the skipform. I am not an expert on band saws (they all say that!!) but the skip form of teeth allows for cleaner removal of waste this I think helps with blade stability as does using the widest blade possible.
Am I right or talking a load of tosh[?] :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks David. I will experiment with that. I have an old Sears 12 inch bandsaw and it does not give real sharp cuts. I will try the different teeth setup and also look for a 1/2. I have several new unused blades in a box but I know I don't have a 5/8ths.

Thanks again.

Rifleman1776

Your 5/8"X4tpi is perhaps the worst choice you can make. A 1/8"X10tpi for what you ask would be excellent. Some have said that a metal cutting blade will clog and not give good cuts on wood. Experiences can vary, though.

DavidSpavin

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Your 5/8"X4tpi is perhaps the worst choice you can make. A 1/8"X10tpi for what you ask would be excellent. Some have said that a metal cutting blade will clog and not give good cuts on wood. Experiences can vary, though.
I dont want to contradict but I was always told to use the widest blade possible when making straight cuts and only use marrow blades when cutting curves. [?]

palmermethod

That's a good question. To get a good cut on anything there should be at least 3 saw teeth on the material you are cutting. Thin stock cuts better when sandwiched between scrap wood. Regarding blade width it shouldn't matter for the pen stock. If you are veneer cutting then a wide blade is best for stability.

Some woods don't cut well at all on my skip blade. Maple cuts perfectly while ebony is very rough. And there is your particular adeptness using power tools. How you use them is also important. Just my view....

Randy_

A true metal cutting blade 20+ tpi will certainly give you a smooth cut but you may have trouble with the teeth clogging although I would guess it would not be a problem for making Celtic knots.

The four tpi blade is definitely too coarse. I think you would be quite satisfied with a blade in the 10-12 tpi range.

I would stick with the wider blade unless you need to cut curves.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />A true metal cutting blade 20+ tpi will certainly give you a smooth cut but you may have trouble with the teeth clogging although I would guess it would not be a problem for making Celtic knots.

The four tpi blade is definitely too coarse. I think you would be quite satisfied with a blade in the 10-12 tpi range.

I would stick with the wider blade unless you need to cut curves.

Ahhh, but there is more to it Randy.

Should we get regular tooth, hook tooth, or skip tooth? And what about set? Should we get a raker set, an alternate set or a wavy set?

I use timberwolf blades exclusively and for resawing up to 12" I use 3 or 4 TPI hook tooth alternate set in 3/8", 1/2" & 3/4" blade width. For everything else I use a 6 TPI regular tooth alternate set in 3/8". For me, these blades do everything I have ever attempted to do and I am happy with the results. YMMV.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DavidSpavin
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Your 5/8"X4tpi is perhaps the worst choice you can make. A 1/8"X10tpi for what you ask would be excellent. Some have said that a metal cutting blade will clog and not give good cuts on wood. Experiences can vary, though.
I dont want to contradict but I was always told to use the widest blade possible when making straight cuts and only use marrow blades when cutting curves. [?]

Your first sentence asked for "smoothest" cuts. That's where my response came from. Yep, wide as possible for straightest. Like most things in life (everything?) you cannot always get the best of everything. Give something, lose something. An all purpose, very good compromise might be a 3/8"X6tpi or even a 1/4"X6tpi.

rherrell

You're exactly right Randy. A metal blade works great but only on small straight cuts like pen blanks and antler. I like 'em for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom