Bandsaw blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So as I'm looking at a new bandsaw, it leaves me with another question. The bandsaw I'm thinking of getting comes with a 6tpi 1/2"wide hook blade. I'm pretty sure that will be fine for large cutting but when really getting fine cuts for blanks, I'm gonna need something different. I was thinking of a 10tpi 1/4"wide raker. Would this work? Any suggestions on this topic also?
Thanks, Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

If you are thinking of cutting bowl blanks with the 6 tpi you should consider another blade especially if it will be green wood. 3 tpi is typical for bowl blanks.

bsshog40

The bandsaw comes with a 6tpi blade. No changing that. I'm wanting a blade to fine cut pen blanks with, the reasoning behind asking if the 10 tpi is good for those. I can also get a 3 tpi for blanks if I need to. I'm just looking for a smooth blade for pen blanks.

MRDucks2

I have had good success cutting a straight and even 1/16" piece of wood with my variable pitch 3-4 tooth 3/4" resale blade. Wolverine works well but I have a bad habit of breaking them. The Highland Hardware resale blade works as well, quieter and suited to my abuse of the bandsaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

KenB259

Not sure why you need a perfect cut on pen blanks. The ends are always trued up after you glue in the tubes, either with a pen mill or a sanding apparatus. Pretty much any bandsaw blade should work.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

For segmenting. I want to be able to cut a straight and even 1/16" piece of wood.

I see, I haven't wandered down that road yet[emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

sbwertz

I cut a lot of desert ironwood, so I run a carbide blade in mine. 1/2" Lenox Trimaster. Man does it give smooth cuts. Looks like it has been planed. I've been running it for a year now and it is still giving me smooth, straight cuts. It is pricey, but it has outlasted any other blade I've ever used, and I cut a lot making blanks for the blind center.

Wildman

The manual that comes with your new band saw has pretty good blade selection primer starting on page 47 and blade selection chart on page 49 for different types of cutting.

I would use the blade that comes with your band saw unitl get a feel for what yo want to do before buying with the saw. Rate of feed, TPI, wood thickness, blade width all factor into cutting with a band saw.

That 3/8" 6 TPI Hook tooth blade that came with my saw didn't last long. Switched to 3 TPI hook blade and never looked back. Great compromise for what I cut on my saw.

Just remember more TPI the slower you want to cut to get smoother finish. Fewer TPI will cut faster with slightly rough cut but manageable. Another rule of thumb must be minimum of 3 teeth in piece of wood cutting. One thing haven't mentioned is wood species. Some will cut cleaner than others.

Top Bottom