Bandsaw blade questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I searched but did not find any reviews on blades.
Just purchased a used band saw about 8- 9 months ago. Use it mostly for cutting blanks and did a few banssaw boxes. The blade I have is dull and wanted to get feed back on the best brand blade to purchase.
I was going with a 3/16" blade with 4 teath per inch 99" lenght.
I see timberwolf, olsen and laguna sell these blades any pros or cons on these brands? I also want to preround some bowl blanks from logs (mesquite, mulberry etc) 6" to 10" rounds.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated if there is another manufacture of blades I am not aware of please educate me.
Thanks in advance for all information.
William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wob50

There is a store not far from here pmctools.com they carry many different band saw blades 1-877-567-3382 is there number hope they can help you

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Lennox is my choice. I get them from cyberwoodworking depot or something like that. 3/16 is an awefully small blade to be using to cut bowl blanks. I use nothing smaller than 1/2" and prefer 3/4". Smaller blade are great for fine cutting where you need to make small radius cuts but bowl blanks don't require that. You can do them easily with 1/2" blades. A wider blade will be more stable and have less deflection when cutting.

The Penguin

I agree with Curtis on band size choice

I like Timberwolf blades - for green wood - you'll want 1/2" x 2 TPI Alternate Skip (for really thick green blanks up to 12") or 1/2" x 3 TPI Alternate Skip for more normal size blanks.

KenV

I like Ellis for general use. They are the lowest cost high quality blades I have encountered but have a $50 minimum. Averages a bit over $10 a blade.

Band Saw Blade Selection :: Band Saw Blades :: Ellis Mfg
flex back and bi-metallic are excellent

Lennox bi-metallic are also good.

(Look at 3/8 and a few less teeth for rough cutting blanks - 3/16 is more towards the scroll saw and band saw box size)

Tom T

I use Timberwolf because that is what WC had when I got my saw. They have always worked well. I use Lenox blades on other tools at work. There are my blades of diffrent quality.

sbwertz

When I had a windfall and was given an 8' 12" diameter ironwood log, I bit the bullet and bought a carbide blade for the bandsaw. It was very expensive...about $200. But boy is it a great blade. It cuts through the ironwood easily, and everything else as well. I'm sold on the carbide blades. They last forever on normal wood, I would think.

Top Bottom