Which bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I am in the market for a new bandsaw. I have read a lot about the Grizzly ultimate 14" and the Jet 14". The grizzly has a quick blade tension and included rip fence which are pluses. The jet is some $200 higher cost. Does anyone have any advice or experience on one or both of these bandsaws? Or any other brand for that matter. I have been using an old 12" craftsman for years and need something a bit heavier. I will not be cutting anything that would require a riser block, mainly bowl blanks, resawing 4" or less, general woodshop use. I would appreciate any comments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

I have been looking at the new 12" craftsman that is out. They also make it in 14". REAL nice. Bearing guides, big tables, heavy as heck, good power, and well priced. Take a look.

Doghouse

I will tell you that Grizzly does make very good tools. I have one of their jointers and it is out standing. The new fence from Griz is a beauty. I have thought about upgrading just to get it. You may want to stop by woodnet ( http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat= ) and ask for opinions on the power tools forum. Pappa Grizzly has been known to drop in on occation.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I assume your talking about the Grizzly G0555. I had mine for about 2 years, got the riser block to go with it. So far it's cut everything I've thrown at it with no problem. I believe several others have the same saw. I can't recall any complaints from anyone about it.

pete00

howdy

last month or the month before in one of the rockler stores there was a magazine with a tools review. something like a consumer report.

Ive found it a few time on the web by lookiing up table saw reviews.
try that, anyway heres another link.

pete

http://www.taunton.com/FWN/ToolGuide/ToolguideDirectory.aspx?dir=Bandsaws

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'm with Frank on this one. I do love my Grizzly GO555. When I bought mine, they included a Timberwolf blade at no charge as part of their summer sale. I have the distinct advantage (my wife isn't so sure it is an advantage!) of having a Grizzly store about 15 minutes from the house. [^]

woodwish

I have a 25-year-old 14" Delta that I picked up at an auction for maybe $20. Cleaned it and bought a new blade for it. I thought last year when I built the new shop that maybe I should ugrade although I have never needed a bigger one. Looked at all the new 14" models and except for dust collection ports I couldn't tell you much the newer do that mine won't. So I added DC ports to it, cleaned it some more, painted the covers (it had been in a school shop and the kiddies had left a "liitle" grafetti), and am happy.

Bottome line here was not brag about mine, it was to make the point that band saws are a failry simple machine. The blades are the biggest single factor in my opinion and good blades fit all models pretty much equally. I would find a good deal and someone you can get service from. Buy some good blades and go at it! You may have to build or buy an aftermarket fence for it, I built mine from an article in "Shop Notes". And of course all the usual safety stuff- wear glasses ALWAYS, wear a dust mask ALWAYS, and connect that DC system to it (can you tell I used to be a shop teacher?).[;)]

JimGo

Ray,
Do you have that Shop Notes article? If so, can you post a reference to it (i.e., issue #, publication date, etc.)? I need to make one for my table saw. Of course, I realize that I only NEED a flat board, but I'd like to do something a little more sophisticated.

Thanks in advance!

jimr

Thanks for all the help. You confirmed what I was almost convinced of and that was the Grizzly is the best buy for the money. Think I will get one. Might even go up to Springfield, Mo to get it. That is not to awfully far from clarksville, Arkansas.

Thanks again

woodwish

Couldn't find the Shop Notes but would have sworn that was where I got it, but this one is close- http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml;jsessionid=43BGUVN0ZRQNPQFIBQPR42Q?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/bandsaw_fence.xml&catref=wd24

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jimr
<br />Thanks for all the help. You confirmed what I was almost convinced of and that was the Grizzly is the best buy for the money. Think I will get one. Might even go up to Springfield, Mo to get it. That is not to awfully far from clarksville, Arkansas.

Thanks again

If you have never been to the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO, be prepared for a treat. You will end up spending more than you plan. Check out the big room to the side that has discontinued items, great price reductions. Nice people and good service too. When I go, I always tell the first salesman I meet, "One of each". BTW, Springfield also has a Harbor Freight and don't forget Bass Pro Shop. I'm not overly impressed with Opie's Hardwoods, selection small, prices high and hard to get service.

dubdrvrkev

I've been very happy with my Grizzly G0580 (14" BS), even more so since I added a timberwolf blade. That makes a huge difference. The only thing I'd really like is a quick tensioner since I don't detention the blade but I know I should.

ograywolf

I sure like the little Ryobi I picked up from Home Depot. I put a 3/8 blade on it, and am resawing 3" blocks with no challenges. Amazing for a little saw. Lots of power, and very easy to adjust. Even has a good dust collection system on it. I used to own all high end Delta & Jet tools...unisaw...bandsaw...Jointer...planer, etc. Sold it all, went into tool deprivation shock a coulpe of years later, but couldn't afford to load up again. I have been very happy with the Ryobi tablesaw and bandsaw. I'll likely buy their router setup (sold all my Porter Cable gear too).

You'll do some jigs and extensions with this equipment, but I've never had a kickback yet.

Dave

TomServo

I have to agree with Dave there, I used to be very biased against ryobi years ago - back around the time craftsmen switched to ryobi for power tools.. My dad sent my an 18v cordless drill for christmas that I am very impressed by.. it's much nicer than the 18v dewalts we sold when I worked at a hardware store. It actually has some torque and power. Still has nothing on my makita corded though.

LeeP

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. I purchased a General Band saw a month ago. Loaded with extras (fence, blower, etc.) Costs a little more but very heavy duty. I love it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom