Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Love the Carter Stabilizer guide

Since this is a band saw thread, I wonder if anyone has used the carter blade stabilizer on a 1/4 blade? I watched the video and he was really turning out band saw boxes easily. At $80.00 I would want it to work. Just thought I would ask. Thanks, Ted:)

I also use the Carter Stabilizer on my 17" Grizzly 513X2F for blades 1/4" or less. I've been making bandsaw boxes and find it works great. For my saw additional brackets were required adding to the cost. Still, when a product works it's easier to get over how much it cost. It's the ones that don't do what they say they will that are the real waste of money.
I just sold my old 12" Craftsman bandsaw that I use in my pen turning area. Space is a real issue and already having the 17" Grizzly my needs aren't high. Therefore I decided to go for the Craftsman clone of the Rikon 10-310. I thought about the Grizzly 555, but in reality probably even the Rikon 10" would have met my needs.
One poor design of the saw though is the slot in the table. Instead of going to the side it comes forward. This requires you to remove the fence rails in order to change the blade. (Someone should have been fired over that one)
It's not an issue for me as I will make and auxiliary table that utilizes a miter gauge as the fence. (Lots of YouTube videos on this)
Not everyone's budgets or needs are the same. :)

raar25

I have that saw probably 4 years now with a riser in it an it does a fine job. I have done bowl blanks and resawing up to 6" wide maple as long as I take my time. With a sharp blade on it this saw handle mostly anything I have used it for. You will know it though when your blade starts to dull because it will bog down. I had a coupon when I bought mine so I think I paid $270 although I would buy it again for $300. Once the blade is tracked at set up correctly it is also a pretty quiet saw. A lot quieter than my old 14" Craftsmen. I just couldn't justify the basic grizzly for 50% more $$ when there was really nothing more it would do for me. I would recommend it for a small home shop. If you are doing production work than you may want something bigger.

jbg230

The Grizzly Tent sale was great for saving 1/2 off my 14" Deluxe model. For any others out there, close enough to the 2 Grizzly locations, it might be worth it, but it does take an adventure to be one of the first ones in the tent to get your pick.
Anyway, I was just at the Kansas City woodworking show and met Alex and his dad from Carter. I walked away with a real good impression about the company. I bought a 3/16" blade and the stabilizer from them to do segmenting and bandsaw boxes. The product works great and does what it's designed to do. I feel much better about having a stable blade for this kind of work. I'll buy a few less blanks and kits for now, but I have a great addition to the shop that will last well into the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom