Apprentice 812 VS Mini Lathe from Craft Supplies USA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for a second lathe to turn pens with. I'd like to get something I can travel with easily. Also the compact size seems like I can set it up in the bathroom (I live in an apartment) and turn a pen or two during the winter. In the warmer months I just roll my lathe out on the balcony and turn outside. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. I have a budget of $300 including tax and shipping (if ordered online).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

I have one and it will do the job.It's not a precision machine,but it works and it's small,and it's under 300.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Hi Dale, Can I get some clarification about what you mean by it not being a precision machine? Does the head and tail stock not line up close to each other? Have you found the misalignment to be a huge problem?

turncrafter commander

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for a second lathe to turn pens with. I'd like to get something I can travel with easily. Also the compact size seems like I can set it up in the bathroom (I live in an apartment) and turn a pen or two during the winter. In the warmer months I just roll my lathe out on the balcony and turn outside. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. I have a budget of $300 including tax and shipping (if ordered online).

about 6 or 7 yrs, ago My kids chipped in and bought me a PSI small lathe and I had nothing but trouble with it. Would not line up. After many phone calls and doing everything they sugested they findly agread to exchange it if I up-grade it , so I bought a turncrafter/ Commander with a veryable speed motor. I love it and haven't had any problems with it. It's small enough to carry myself and I take it to some shows and turn pens.
I made a table out of an old sewing machine base because it is higher than a reg, folding table. Saves my back. Frank Nemke sr.

Dale Lynch

Hi Dale, Can I get some clarification about what you mean by it not being a precision machine? Does the head and tail stock not line up close to each other? Have you found the misalignment to be a huge problem?

The tailstock has alot of play.Caan be overcome by shimming but I just learnd through trial and error how to place it so it was inline with the headstock..It's only a huge problem when it's an expensive blank and your not paying attention.I've made a few great pens on mine.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'll take a look at the Nova Comet 11 and Turncrafter Commander. My other lathe is a 2MT, so the Apprentice really wouldn't work for me. Another brain fart purchase averted.

Top Bottom