Anyone use beading tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I saw a tool for bowl work that was called a beading tool and showed using it to make uniform beeds in bowls or spindles. Is there anything similar that can be used on a pen, for those of us who can't seem to master making the really small and precise beads that some people are so good at? The ones for the bowls/spindles would be too big, b/c I think the smallest they came in was one to make 1/4" beads. If anybody has any great ideas, I'd appreciate it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Angela, Ed "YoYoSpin" Davidson is the bead king when it comes to pens. Hopefully he'll chime in on this and let you know something. If he doesn't, I don't think he would mind answering a PM. He's always a great help!

Fred in NC

Hello ! Present and accounted for !!!!

I am testing the tools right now. I have 1/8", 3/32", and two 1/16" side by side.

My offer will be in the individual classifieds in a day or two.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I don't do them often but a small chip carving set fo about $5.00 has gouges that can be honed quickly fo beads and coves.You can find them at Harbor Freight.
Has a neat little skew also, about 1/4".

Rifleman1776

One of my favorite sources for tool making supplies is the local flea market. I look for screwdrivers that fit the size I need. Heated with a propane torch they soften up a bit. Then for a beading tool, drill a hole near the end the size you want. Grind and sharpen to suit your needs. Reheat as hot as possible (if using propane) [straw color with Mapp or welding equip.], plunge in water to harden. And/or you can Kasenit the surface. That's optional in my experience. Start using.

Gary Max

Fred you need to get busy. The wife keeps asking about the beading tools. I just keep putting her off---I tell her you are a real busy man.

Cement nails are harden steel, I made a small scraper from one once. It would be just as easy to turn it into a skew or a beading tool depending on how you grind it.

melogic

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Fred you need to get busy. The wife keeps asking about the beading tools. I just keep putting her off---I tell her you are a real busy man.

This is the same thing I've been telling my wife Gary. She wanted to buy a beading tool a couple of weeks ago at Woodcraft and I had to stop her and remind her she wouldn't be happy with it.

Gary Max

Mark it's getting bad here---my wife has been using dental tools for small detail stuff----they really have way to much flex. I am hoping Fred gets these done soon.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom