Anyone own this face shield?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not that particular one but there are many versions of it. You ask is it worth it?? For $15 it is worth the effort to protect yourself. Now you have to realize the purpose of it and what it can and can not do. Not made for protecting against heavy turned objects. Not made for keeping out dust or fumes. Good for keep those things that come off the grinding wheels or shavings from the lathe. Any protection is better than none as long as you know and are aware of the shortcomings of them. They do scratch easily.

jttheclockman

HONEYWELL S8500 Bionic Face Shield with Suspension, Clear Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXXUWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2quzybZHPG2GH much better option

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Again same rules apply. This mask will fog more easily because it is closed in. Tough to wear a dust mask with it. Tough to wear safety glasses with it. The more protection comes from protecting the bottom part of your face and neck somewhat. Being they are bent so much they have a tendency to crack more around the edges. Again will scratch easily and not sure if that one is capable of replacement glass.

If you are just turning small objects such as pen blanks, bottle stoppers and things of that nature you will be fine with either one. The first one would be my choice though because that is the one I am familiar with and use. When you get into turning heavy objects that can seriously hurt you if they come off the lathe then you need to step way up. These are just my opinions. :)

oldtoolsniper

HONEYWELL S8500 Bionic Face Shield with Suspension, Clear Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXXUWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2quzybZHPG2GH much better option

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Again same rules apply. This mask will fog more easily because it is closed in. Tough to wear a dust mask with it. Tough to wear safety glasses with it. The more protection comes from protecting the bottom part of your face and neck somewhat. Being they are bent so much they have a tendency to crack more around the edges. Again will scratch easily and not sure if that one is capable of replacement glass.

If you are just turning small objects such as pen blanks, bottle stoppers and things of that nature you will be fine with either one. The first one would be my choice though because that is the one I am familiar with and use. When you get into turning heavy objects that can seriously hurt you if they come off the lathe then you need to step way up. These are just my opinions. :)

I have both of them and they are used depending on the protection level I want.

Using them is the key thing, a lot of folks have them hanging by the power tool while the operate it. Same thing with safety glasses.

I had a wire wheel come apart on me, a first and hopefully last time in my life. Made me into a porcupine of sorts. Needless to say the $6 or $8 spent on those glasses we e worth it.

41be0967a8cc2f4299c57a42479efead.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

bmachin

I agree with Justin. If you look at the ANSI ratings the Z87+ standard provides much more impact protection than the Z87. The only downside to this type of face shield may be that there is not as much airflow so it is warmer and may fog more--working from memory here; haven't used my similar Uvex in a while.

Bill

Skie_M

Well ... if you gots the moolah, you may as well spring for the heavy duty model Z87+ .... and being as how you're familiar with shop work (making your own jigs, making things work, ect) you may as well mod it ...

Cut a hole in it an install a small battery powered fan... A computer exhaust fan (CPU cooling fan ect) can run off of a 9-volt battery. You can get rechargeable 9-volt batteries and chargers ... don't have to worry about tossing out a ton of dead batteries that way, and the cost is still kept low. So is the weight! :)

adirondak5

Here's a Linky for it.
Is it worth buying?
Anything to look out for on it?
I have an old HF cheapy face shield that I wouldn't trust
if I had to. It's ok for grinding or something like that, as long as I use
eye goggles under it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Yeah, I know it's a cheapy, but I can't afford anything more right now.:)
http://www.rockler.com/3m-tekk-professional-face-shield

That face shield is fine Herb , I use one myself whenever I turn anything on the lathe or use the router table , table saw , etc , its saved my skin(literally) more than once on blow outs , chip outs , etc .

bpgoldo

Guys, we can discuss cost / price / value till we can't hear each other's voices. What will losing your vision cost? What will experiencing the pain of having your eye pierced cost? What will a new eye cost? (Oh yeah, can't buy one). Purchase the best quality, most comfortable eye protection that you can afford...AND WILL USE CONSISTENTLY. End of debate. And I use the inexpensive HF full face shield with safety glasses under it. Double protection.

Last edited:

duncsuss

If you don't want to spend hundreds, I recommend the Uvex (Honeywell) 8500.

I have the HF one, one from Woodcraft that's very similar to the Rockler one you linked, The Uvex 8500, a Trend Airshield, and a 3M VersaFlo powered respirator/faceshield.

Each has it's uses. My opinion: the HF & the one you linked to are not suitable for turning.

Why? Because (a) anything that hits the bottom edge of the faceshield is going to smash your nose with the polycarbonate "shield", and (b) if your head is turned to one side, you have no protection at all.

The Uvex works very well, and a 3M 6200 "half-face" dust mask fits underneath it with no problem. The only downside I experience is in very cold weather I get some condensation on the inside, I simply take a 15 second break and it clears. No dust comes around the side of the faceshield, big plus IMO.

The Trend Airshield works very well except when using CA glue (or anything else with fumes), because the air intake is front and center and it sucks in the fumes and directs them into my eyes.

The 3M Versaflo M100 is excellent but pricey.

One other point -- safety glasses under all these shields are recommended, mine are presciption so I have to wear them to see anything.

YMMV, IMO, etc.

Last edited:

Skie_M

If I'm turning anything "chippy", or even remotely unstable or liable to fly apart, I use my HF face shield. It's a cheapie, but it's crystal clear and gives me protection from the tiny bits of flying debris that try to sting my face. I wear prescription glasses, but my vision is so bad that these things could stop a .22 point blank ... and I wish that were a joke.

The combination of the pair is more than enough protection for me, as I don't generally turn anything larger than a bottle stopper (yet), and certainly not without using the tailstock center for added support or one of my new lathe chucks for great support (added to the tailstock whenever possible).

If I ever graduate up to a larger (and thus more powerful/dangerous lathe), I may upgrade my face shield protection, but for now it's more than adequate.

If I ever go out and get one of those hockey mask looking things ... I'm definitely putting a fan in it.

MTViper

I have face shields like both of the ones discussed here. I use the Bionic more than anything. I can wear safety glasses under it with no problem also a dust mask but not a respirator. Doesn't seem to fog up at all.

The biggest thing, though, is to remember that ALL face shields, including the Trend Airshield Pro, are designed to protect against small flying chips and dust. None of them are helmets that will protect you from a chunk of wood coming off at high RPM. Trend has even started putting a disclaimer to that effect in their literature.

The best line of defense against flying chunks of bowl blank is the metal guard that came with your lathe. So go look under the scrap pile, find it, and put it back on your lathe. When you turn pens flip it up, when you turn bowls flip it down - just like the toilet seat, guys.

Trust me, you can get used to it.

Steve

jleiwig

I have used the one Herb linked to originally to turn pens before as it was the only one I had. I had no condensation problems with it. I believe this was due to it being too open. I have tried on the Uvex at the industrial supply house, but have not worn it for an extended turning session. I can tell you from personal experience that the one Herb linked to will indeed stop both stabilized buckeye burl and trustone blanks when they explode and fly off the lathe.

That being said it is not very ergonomic in my opinion and I always end up popping it open when I'm looking down at a blank because it hits my chest. Maybe it's just mine but the sheild seems extra long. Many times I don't bother closing it back down because of that, so I've been more lucky than right with it.

I think the Uvex will help me in that regard, but I am worried about the condensation.

I saw a link a few years ago to someone that turned one into a positive pressure mask, but I can't find it any longer.

Top Bottom