Anyone know this router bit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Anyone have info on this huge router bit?
1/2" shank
2" cutter height
2" diameter

Closest I've found is this but not the same.
https://wnwoodworkingschool.com/shop/big-daddy-pattern-bit/

Thanks for any help!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rbit.JPG
    rbit.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 547
  • rbit2.JPG
    rbit2.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 534
  • rbit3.JPG
    rbit3.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 548
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Thanks Ken, I should have clarified. It came with a router table lot I bought at auction through my father in law. I haven't received the remainder of the bits or table yet. I had figured router table only but thought a shaper would be possible but with the 1/2" shank size threw me off.

Are you saying for milling wood or for a milling machine? I assume milling wood, looks to me like it would be made for serious hogging.

KenV

I use milling bits in my wood lathe and drill press to work on wood. The bits do not care. Also use router bits in a jacob chuck in the tailstock. But at slow speeds and not that big around.

A machinist, or a mill wright would be able to use such a bit in a router table with a variable speed router because they are trained in feed rates and speeds and know how to limit the cut.

Otherwise that is the "hold my beer and watch this" kind of opportunity.

southernclay

Thanks Ken, makes sense, came from a huge manufacturers sell off. Another place that makes stuff gone....

Hold my beer and watch this used to be fun but not anymore : ) I've got enough stories already and want to keep telling them.

low_48

I use milling bits in my wood lathe and drill press to work on wood. The bits do not care. Also use router bits in a jacob chuck in the tailstock. But at slow speeds and not that big around.

A machinist, or a mill wright would be able to use such a bit in a router table with a variable speed router because they are trained in feed rates and speeds and know how to limit the cut.

Otherwise that is the "hold my beer and watch this" kind of opportunity.

A millwright would have no need for such a bit, nor know anything about using it. A millwright rigs, moves and installs machinery. They do not run machines. My brother was a millwright at Caterpillar for 30 years. He never turned on a single machine. That was first the electricians job, then the machine operator.

As far as using the bit, I advise against it. You can machine wood if you clamp a screwdriver in a chuck, but not cut it safely, cleanly, or quickly. The cutting geometry will be all wrong for wood. Burning, or tearing, will be the first indicator it is not correct for wood.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

That bit would scare the bedickens out of me.:):) I use large bits in a router designed to accept them with speed control to slow huge bits way down. Or I use a shaper with large bits or cutters. 1/2" shanks are the norm for bits that you do not want vibration from. Almost all my woodworking bits are 1/2".

southernclay

I should have clarified better at the beginning. It's not something I plan on using just curious about it, what it is, etc. I don't need a paperweight although it would make a great one! More curious for the possibility of selling/swapping down the line.

Cool though to see the cautions thrown out, it's good to be watchful for folks. I'm far from an expert but know enough to know this thing is meant to be respected but I still would like to find out more.

Curly

It is a cutter for a milling machine most likely for steel cutting at slow speeds, as in the few hundred rpm ranges with coolant. It looks like the shank has been ground down from a larger diameter, perhaps 3/4". The original shank probably had a notch or flat ground into it for a set screw to keep the bit from rotating in the tool holder. While you could get away with using it in a BIG router with the speed dialed right down, in a table with a fence, taking shallow cuts, I wouldn't advise it unless you are very experienced and understand what can go wrong. Lots. From what I see in the pictures looking at it with my phone, the cutting edges are dull and possibly chipped. New it would be razor sharp.

duncsuss

When you look into the toothy end, can you see any fastener head that might be holding the cutter onto the arbor? (Or does the arbor unscrew from the cutter head?)

From the things I've been reading, it most closely resembles a shell end mill cutter. Link to American Machine Tools "how to" page with line drawings of different tools ... LINK

southernclay

When you look into the toothy end, can you see any fastener head that might be holding the cutter onto the arbor? (Or does the arbor unscrew from the cutter head?)

From the things I've been reading, it most closely resembles a shell end mill cutter. Link to American Machine Tools "how to" page with line drawings of different tools ... LINK

Hey Duncan,

Thanks for the link, I think you nailed it. No fastener etc, I'm think it's shaft was milled down as suggested above or perhaps it was a morse taper style at one point. I've bookmarked that link for down the road too.

I have a friend that owns a machine shop in s Georgia I see once a year or so and he said he may have an occasional use for it. Passing it along to him as I know he'll know what to do with it and don't have to concern myself with someone buying it off eBay and having a disaster from it.

Thanks for all of the help folks!

low_48

Man I hate it when people use the word "magic" in relation to woodworking tools and techniques. Untold numbers of articles in woodworking magazines make the same claim! It's like it can fix anything, it's not the skill of the user or anything, IT'S MAGIC that does it!

jttheclockman

Man I hate it when people use the word "magic" in relation to woodworking tools and techniques. Untold numbers of articles in woodworking magazines make the same claim! It's like it can fix anything, it's not the skill of the user or anything, IT'S MAGIC that does it!

Is this one of those puzzle games???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Where was the word magic used because i did not see it. I will play:biggrin::biggrin:

low_48

Is this one of those puzzle games???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Where was the word magic used because i did not see it. I will play:biggrin::biggrin:

My mistake, this was supposed to be on the magic skew posting. Can't explain how it got here except to admit operator error! Sorry!

Top Bottom