Any thoughts on the Turners Warehouse Pen Drilling Vise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimpenna

HI,
I am looking for a vise for DP drilling. Anyone have experience with this? Can't seem to get an answer on the PHD vise and this looks pretty close.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

HI,
I am looking for a vise for DP drilling. Anyone have experience with this? Can't seem to get an answer on the PHD vise and this looks pretty close.

Hi John
Chad at Turnerswarehouse is a great guy to deal with.
If you have any questions about any of the products, he's fairly easy to get a hold of.

As far as the pen drilling device goes, its a dandy tool for holding blanks.
A must have if your are using a drill press for drilling blanks.

Harry

Woodchipper

Here is what I use. Uses a HF vise. Align the blank to the drill bit. I also use it for squaring the blank with the pen mill. If you use one of the drilling vises, the DP table must be level. Mine isn't- that's why I align with the drill bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_060456492_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171118_060456492_HDR.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
I've been using one I got this year. I got it because it is "self centering" and (more importantly) it uses a cam/lever action to hold the blank - which is a huge improvement over my old threaded one. It's available on Amazon for less than the one you are considering (Woodcraft, too, but more $).

https://www.amazon.com/Savannah-762...pID=418KgyzZfSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

FWIW, I drill on both the lathe and on the dp. Both methods give good results but the dp MUST be set up properly to be accurate. Once that is done, though, I believe the dp knocks out excellent holes a lot faster. Which is important if you're doing a run of a number of pens.

Last edited:

jimpenna

Thanks for the suggestions...

Going to go with the Turners Warehouse one. I usually do drill on the lathe, have since the beginning, but would like a little faster method to drill a number of blanks at once.

jxdubbs

Going to go with the Turners Warehouse one. I usually do drill on the lathe, have since the beginning, but would like a little faster method to drill a number of blanks at once.
I'm interested in the T.W. pen blank vise. And I was wondering if you ended up going with that one and if you liked it or not? To me seems the most sold vise for pens I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jxdubbs

jxdubbs

So what is the drill method for pen blanks?
Drill press, on the lathe, do u use speacial bits?
Idk I again blew up three more blanks in a row. (All ACRYLIC) I'm losing faith in myself. Is what I'm doing wrong its its obviously something tht I'm doing wrong.[emoji47][emoji1785][emoji2961][emoji35][emoji2959][emoji2962]

jxdubbs

So I talked to Ed for Exotic Woods and he said there sold out because the guy that made them is off his feet right now and I guess pretty much blind. (I hope he gets better) so I'm going to have to go with the Turner's warehouse. Or go with the Tim Giest one.

Top Bottom