Any Opinions on This - Bolt Saver Thing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Seems extremely expensive even at the 50% off price. It would be hard to sharpen because the threads are internal and it will need sharpening fairly often if you are using steel bolts.

Also it will be hard to hold the bolt straight and aligned with the tool axis due to the head of the bolt making it hard to mount in a machine like a lathe, although it looks like the tool itself could be so mounted. Maybe you can hand hold the bolt and mount the tool in the lathe headstock chuck.

Last edited:

Skie_M

It would appear that this tool is made with some kind of high quality tool steel ... possibly up to the same as the grade 8 that is mentioned as the highest it should be used on for hardness. Somewhere around rockwell hardness 70.

It has some kind of "coating" on it with a supposed hardness of 92, to make the tool's edge work more efficiently in removing the thread and burr and helping keep the tool's edge sharp.

If you have a small diamond file, you could probably get in there by hand and re-sharpen the edge from the outside...

It says that it cannot handle Chrome/Moly steels, however ... which might actually indicate that the material that it is made up of may be lower in hardness to it or the same.

TonyL

Thanks for the feedback. In my 55 years, I only had to cut a bold less than a dozen times and used a file on the 3 or 4 that I had to "de-burr" . It looked like a nice little gadget. Thanks again!

TonyL

You are right. I still have about 40 unused belts. :) I only use the leather strop.

Top Bottom