Any good chucks on sale?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkenly

I don't have a chuck - I feel like I'm deprived...

Are there any goods ones on sale somewhere that I can't live without - I have a Jet 1014 lathe that I got last year for Christmas.

So looking for a good/decent chuck - or 2 if they are on sale. Not trying to start any fights - just thought that folks know where they are on sale, and I don't have to go to every website looking.

TIA

>>>Rod<<<

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

If you are a pen turner, it is hard to beat a collet chuck for accuracy($73 on Amazon with free shipping) plus a live/dead center pair, and a 1/2 inch jacobs chuck. That covers everything I do.

rkenly

The G3 interests me - do you want the unit that comes standard, or the 4 jaw package - are the jaws it comes with the most used, or do you get the 1 jaw, and then add something else?

>>>Rod<<<

KBs Pensnmore

The G3 interests me - do you want the unit that comes standard, or the 4 jaw package - are the jaws it comes with the most used, or do you get the 1 jaw, and then add something else?

>>>Rod<<<

Rod, I would get the package, as is usual when you require a chuck it is now, not in a few days time, waiting for postage. Plus buying as a package you could save $$$$$.:biggrin:
Kryn

Lenny

Do you want a chuck for Penturning or bowls?

If you plan to use it for Penturning I agree with Harry, get a collet chuck!
If you want it for bowls keep in mind the Jet mini is a small lathe ... Don't get too big of a chuck. I have the Oneway talon but the G3 would be a good choice as well.

rkenly

I have the collet chuck (PSI) for up to an inch, I guess.

I have only turned pens - and a knob for someone who wanted to replicate a knob on an antique gas pump. I was able to get through it using my collett chuck - but it was iffy thing - not having the right tools - but it came out nice, matched very closely to what came off it.

From somebody elses comment Plano Harry) - I don't have a jacobs chuck yet...

The "big" chuck could be for bowls and anything else - glasses, etc. (or knobs like above) - I recently received quite a surprise - an acquaintance from work - husband got ill, and can no longer turn stuff - she gave me all of his wood - and there is a lot of bowl blanks - lots of larger piece woods (and some pen blanks). Don't even know what most of the wood is, but there are some pretty blanks that have been stabilized - and lots of big blocks have wax on the end cuts, etc.

nava1uni

The Nova is a good chuck for a midi lathe. I have 2 of them and the package is good because it comes with several jaws. I use it for pens to drill and other spindle work.

watch_art

I've got the 4 jaw chuck - PSI version and think it's very good - very easy to adjust to get a blank centered in there w/o any silly chuck key.

But I don't use it anymore at all - if I have a blank too big for a 20mm collet I turn it between centers to get one end down a bit and then stick it right in there. Plus a collet chuck is smaller and easier on the knuckles if you get your hand too close.
:)

Dave Turner

Woodcraft puts the SuperNova 2 chuck as well as the G3 on sale a couple times each year. Sometimes they include the 4 jaws as with the G3 for $200 (they just finished a sale with the SuperNova 2 with 4 jaws for $200 last week). Sometimes they just have the chuck on sale. I just checked, you can buy the SuperNova 2 on Amazon for $156 (with threaded insert) or G3 with threaded insert for $145.

The Teknatool chucks (SuperNova 2, G3, etc.) all use the same jaws. Go to the Teknatool web site and read about their different jaws, then decide which ones would be most useful to you. If at least 2 of them match the ones included in the Woodcraft bundle, go for it. The jaws I use the most are the 1" pin jaws on my SuperNova 2.

The SuperNova 2 may be overkill for your lathe, but would still work nicely. If you are seriously considering getting a bigger lathe in the future, you should consider it. Otherwise the G3 seems perfect for you. Both the SN2 and G3 take the threaded inserts, so would work in in larger lathe by just buying a different insert.

I also have a collet chuck set, but find my SuperNova 2 to be more convenient for most tasks.

airborne_r6

I have the G3 and it is a great chuck. I don't know that I would want a bigger one on the smaller lathe. You can do quite a bit with the 4 jaw package it comes with in the Woodcraft sale and that is definitely a good deal.

rkenly

Thanks everybody.

I went to Woodcraft and got the G3 on sale. A great price - actually cheaper than any G3 on Ebay.

Now anxiously awaiting delivery - and a chance to make new sawdust

>>>Rod<<<

christopher_2

Which one Would You Get

I have a Jet mini lathe and am looking at getting one of the following in the next week.

Buy Nova G3 Chuck with 4 Jaw Package at Woodcraft.com

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10535

With discounts and coupons they would both cost about the same, which one would you get?

Why would you get your choice?

Keep in mind I am new to using a lathe and really have no idea what all the little parts in the kit are.:embarrassed::bulgy-eyes:

I am new to lathe woodworking and am starting with ink pens, want to use this to drill my blanks so I don't have to have my drill press added into my wood working area.

In the near future I would like to turn a few inside out ornaments, maybe a salt or pepper mill. Started reading Wood Turning Magazine and have seen a few small projects I would like to try that requires a chuck.

airborne_r6

I have a Jet mini lathe and am looking at getting one of the following in the next week.

With discounts and coupons they would both cost about the same, which one would you get?

Keep in mind I am new to using a lathe and really have no idea what all the little parts in the kit are.:embarrassed::bulgy-eyes:

I am new to lathe woodworking and am starting with ink pens, want to use this to drill my blanks so I don't have to have my drill press added into my wood working area.

In the near future I would like to turn a few inside out ornaments, maybe a salt or pepper mill. Started reading Wood Turning Magazine and have seen a few small projects I would like to try that requires a chuck.

Either one is a really good choice, deciding between them probably comes down to the accessories available. If I were in your situation I would make a spreadsheet and use it to compare the capabilities of the different jaws available.

EDIT: I just went and re-read the Rockler page and it looks to me like the Talon chuck only comes with the #2 jaws. In which case I would buy the G3 from Woodcraft because it comes with more jaws. The additional jaws shown in the pictures are listed separately below the price for the chuck and the description of the chuck under more info only lists the #2 jaws as being standard.

Last edited:

The Penguin

I think you'll find that the Oneway chuck only comes with the #2 jaws, not all the jaws pictured...so with that in mind, the Nova is a far better deal.

I own a VicMarc chuck and a Nova Midi chuck, so I can't comment on the quality of the chucks you are looking at.

Top Bottom