Antique Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RVA_Tyndall

I bought this lathe when I was starting out turning from a neighbor who had it in their garage for over 40 years. I didn't know what to do with it, but for $100 I thought I could find some purpose for it. Turns out it will be my new polishing station (after being a storage shelf for a couple of years)
IMG_2683.JPG

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/rvatyndall/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I did the same thing with one of those old Craftsman wood lathes that used a single large (2.5"~ 2.75") diameter steel tube as the lathe bed. In that case, I was able cut the tube down to just the length needed for the buffing setup, thus saving space in the shop. Your lathe would not be happy with that type of 'lathe surgery'. :eek::beat-up:

The option to select just the right speed to spin the buffs is a nice bene for this type of permanent lathe-turned-buffing-station. :biggrin:

1080Wayne

Looks like you have 4 speeds available , with a 3:1 ratio highest to lowest . If my eyes are working correctly and that pulley ranges from 3 to 9 inch , and if you have a 1725 rpm motor on it , your belt is moving along at about 45 mph. No idea what size pulley is on the lathe , but I suspect it is turning at more than 1725 rpm .

bsshog40

That's pretty cool and a good use. I have a former neighbor of mine that her husband, my friend, passed about 4 months ago. She wants me to have his old craftsman lathe. Not sure of the model but plan to go get it in a couple weeks. Was wondering what I might do with it.

That's pretty cool and a good use. I have a former neighbor of mine that her husband, my friend, passed about 4 months ago. She wants me to have his old craftsman lathe. Not sure of the model but plan to go get it in a couple weeks. Was wondering what I might do with it.

My father in law, who just turned 96, was a woodworker for probably 80+ years of his life. He had an old Craftsman lathe that he used up to the time we moved them into a retirement community last July. Like an idiot, when asked if I wanted any of his tools I said no and when we had the estate sale a guy walked in and basically bought his entire shop for a song. This lathe was probably built sometime in the 50's but was still in good operating condition. It's the lathe I learned to turn on. I'm still kicking myself over, and over and over.

Top Bottom