Another way of Squaring Blank Ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Another little tool I made this morning for squaring blanks. I used Aluminum, but I feel sure it would work equally as well with Delrin. I first tried it with adhesive backed, coarse sandpaper and it sucked! Loaded up quickly! (It may be o.k. with wood, but I was doing Alumilite). I changed speed and went to a finer grade sandpaper and it still sucked.
Finally, I took a strip of 120 and placing the sand against the blank, I ran the tailstock, with chucked tool, up against the backside of the sandpaper, applying enough pressure to cause the sandpaper to cut. I pulled the sandpaper back and forth, between the tool and blank (as the blank spun) and "Viola", success!!!!!!!!! Then I took it a step further and used some 400 wet. That made it shine. This is not necessary for kit pens with metal parts covering the ends. But I was working on the front end of a kitless "section" so I went one step further. I took some Novus on a folded paper towel, placed that between the blank and "new tool" and let it spin. It reaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shined!

Attachments

• DSC_9160 copy.jpg
    DSC_9160 copy.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_9165 copy.jpg
    DSC_9165 copy.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_9168 copy.jpg
    DSC_9168 copy.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC_9171 copy.jpg
    DSC_9171 copy.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 281

dogcatcher

Take a short 3/8" lag bolt, screw it in to the center of one side of a 1.25" cube of wood. Mount in your collet chuck, turn round and face the opposite end. Use it the same way in a drill chuck in your tailstock. Or use it in you collet with your blank on a drill bit as guide in the tailstock.

Top Bottom