Another Delta opinion DP350 drill press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

Another question about opinions on a delta product- does anyone have any experience with the delta dp350 drill press? I am wanting to get a drill press, pretty much exclusively for drilling pen blanks- I wouldn't even begin to know what else to do with one! It was suggested that this would be a good one, b/c the quill travel, at 3 1/4", would be long enough that for most pen blanks I wouldn't have to do any repositioning. It has the variable speed, which would be nice for drilling things that need to go really slow, like dymondwood, versus other things. Plus, I have close to enough in free amazon gift certificates that I've gotten that it would be almots free, and it has free shipping. So there are many appealing parts to it, but again, as in my other post asking about opinions about the delta wet/dry tool sharpening system, the reviews at amazon are mediocre. This drill press was also recommended at Woodcraft and was one they sell. I'm not a highly advanced driller of any sort, so do people think this might work? I guess if this item gets an overwhelming no and the wet/dry sharpener gets better opinions, then I can use my gift certificates on it and get it basically free. Wish I had enough for both to be free! Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Check this thread

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5874&SearchTerms=drill,press,delta,Shopfox

Tom (OldGriz) have this DP and he recommends it hightly. I trust his word [:)].

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I love mine... just make sure that you follow the directions and periodically lube the reeves drive like they recommend... an real easy job.. I have been using mine for almost 1.5yrs now and have had no problems...

Doghouse

After receiving 4 of them, 2 of which I would not accept due to damage, 1 that would not go through the full range of speed, I finally have one that works.

Would I purchase another? In a word NO!

You are supposed to daily oil the reeves drive by removing the top cover and 6 little screws.
And move the drive throught its entire speed range every day.

Another problem is that the speeds are an entire guess. You only have a numeric speed rating at the fastest and slowest speeds everything else is a guess.

After trying for multiple hours I gave up on getting the table and shaft to be square and am working on an auxillary table.

Even the delta rep when he looked at what was shipped to me could not beleive how poorly packed and damaged the machines they shipped were. (Not all of it was shipping damage.)

If you like the delta and want the price fine, just avoid the reeves drive on this machine!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Interesting John .... I have never had a problem with mine and I only lube the drive about once a month... I use the drill press about every other day also...
As for guessing at the speeds, that does not bother me... after a short while you get the feel for what speed you need to do the job... besides most of us here are used to "slow speed" or "high speed" as examples of how to drill... never seen anyone say acrylics need to be done at 350RPM...
Also had no problems lining up the table and shaft either...
But I guess like all things mechanical... problems arise... I am sorry to hear you got 4 bad ones... I must have gotten lucky out of the shute... but I bought mine because a couple of other guys in my club have them also...

wayneis

I had one for 1.5 years and love it also. It doesn't need to be oiled daily, the book suggests weekly buy I do mine monthly at the most. Everything lines up on mine and the table squares up just like any other drill press table. I think that if you look in the manual that there is a speed chart which I've never paid any attention to as I just go by sound and feel.

Wayne

hobby_dale

Have had mine for just a few months, but it seems to be working just fine. The box mine arrived in was trashed, but the DP itself was fine. The table seems to line up fine for drilling. So far so good. Here is a speed chart someone sent me, after they worked on measuring the speeds. Might help you (and others):

DP 350 RPM Ranges:

Range 1: 500 to 760
Range 2: 800 to 1235
Range 3: 1305 to 1950
Range 4: 2060 to 3100

My other choice was the Ryobi 12", due to the extended quill travel. The Delta measures 3 1/8", though the box states 3 1/4". May just be me. Overall I am happy and look forward to using it.

Kurt Aebi

I've had mine for about 1-1/2 years now and love it!

Just like any Reeves drive setup, you really don't need to lubricate as often as they suggest as long as you keep the workings clean. I take a saturday morning every other month and clean and lubricate the drill press as well as my lathe. To solve the 6 screw issue, I added a piano hinge and a latch to the top to make access a little easier - also lined the top of the casting with a little neoprene rubber to keep the sheet metal top from rattling.

Would I buy another one - well I have, I bought one for my father!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom