another band saw questions post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I currently have a 12 inch craftsman band saw ( I paid $100 at a garage sale) that has 6 inches of clearance and that has a 1/2 horsepower motor. If I'm cutting box elder or other very soft wood I can cut up to 5 inches thick (resaw and bowl blanks). Even cutting the soft wood it can take me about 3 minutes going very very slowly to cut through 4 inch thick 5 inches long.
But any other type of wood it just slows then stalls the motor no matter how show I go. I tried cutting edges off a 4.5" deep walnut square bowl blank last night with a new blade and..... (Drumroll) it just can't cut it. Bandsaw is adjusted well and works great on anything small say up to 2 inches.

I need and want a better more powerful bandsaw.

I am currently looking at a used jet 14OS. The owner sent me this info. I have not looked at it yet in person.

This is a link to the saw and gives all of the specifications.
JET JWBS-14OS, 14 in. Bandsaw with Open Stand-708113A - The Home Depot

I have the Jet 6 inch riser block so the resaw is 12", and uses a 105" blade, from 1/8" to 3/4" width.
Included is a Rockler table and fence setup. Couldn't find it on the Rockler site, here's a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2dA-2p_ls

Also has a mobile base with locking casters.

He has not sent me any price yet but said he is moving and wants to sell most of his woodworking tools before moving.

Thoughts? Price? Suggestions? Alternatives at it sounds $400 to look for that will suit my needs?

This meet has a 3\4 HP motor.

Attachments

• Jet saw.jpg
    Jet saw.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Jet table 1.jpg
    Jet table 1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Jet side view.jpg
    Jet side view.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Jet blade blocks.jpg
    Jet blade blocks.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Jet base.jpg
    Jet base.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Jet saw model.jpg
    Jet saw model.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think that a 3/4 HP motor is going to be much of an upgrade over your Craftsman.

I have the Rikon 10-325, 14" saw with 13" resaw capability. It has a 1.5 HP motor and works great. For the type of things you're trying to do, I wouldn't want anything smaller.

This is just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited:

low_48

I agree, you won't be able to use that much of that 12" capacity with the 3/4hp. The number of teeth on the blades will really make a difference. Cutting thick stock, you should use something around 3 teeth per inch.

bobleibo

+1 on the 1hp...
I have a Jet 14cs which has the 1hp motor....night and day from the 3/4hp I had, well worth the money.

moke

I have the 14" 1Hp closed stand version of that saw. I agree with all the posts so far.
Mine is what I consider underpowered for cutting larger bowl blanks, I do a lot of walnut....and have had some issues cutting some bigger ones...like almost to the point where it is dangerous. ( I have a scar to prove it. but these blanks are 8" thick or so ) However, I have learned that the blade makes all the difference in the world....I can't recall the name of the blade, but I get them from Highland Hardware and they are made for roughing bowl blanks. If that one is like mine it should be 105" and about 39.00. It does make it considerably easier, but still is very labor intensive. Another words, you are not going to spin it, while the blade cuts it effortlessly. I really don't know how much difference a 1/4 of hp would make...but sounds like some according to bobeilo. It cuts like a dream for all the flat work I do, but for bowls I have been looking for a used 18' 3hp with no luck yet.
Just my .02
Mike

Last edited:

tah2100

Have the DX model

Just got it, like it so far. Did a ton of research before pulling the trigger: Consistently good reviews on Amazon and several other woodworking sites. Haven't tried the big-log-resawing project yet, but am confident that the 1.25 HP motor will do the trick.
$999 on Amazon, but with free shipping.

The Penguin

I have the 14" 1Hp closed stand version of that saw. I agree with all the posts so far.
Mine is what I consider underpowered for cutting larger bowl blanks, I do a lot of walnut....and have had some issues cutting some bigger ones...like almost to the point where it is dangerous. ( I have a scar to prove it. but these blanks are 8" thick or so ) However, I have learned that the blade makes all the difference in the world....I can't recall the name of the blade, but I get them from Highland Hardware and they are made for roughing bowl blanks. If that one is like mine it should be 105" and about 39.00. It does make it considerably easier, but still is very labor intensive. Another words, you are not going to spin it, while the blade cuts it effortlessly. I really don't know how much difference a 1/4 of hp would make...but sounds like some according to bobeilo. It cuts like a dream for all the flat work I do, but for bowls I have been looking for a used 18' 3hp with no luck yet.
Just my .02
Mike
I have had very good luck with www.timberwolfblades.com

their 1/2" x 2TPI AS (alternate skip) and 1/2" by 3TPI AS blades are perfect for roughing out bowl blanks - and in the 105" length, they are less than $24 each.

LeeR

I think I'd hold out for the Rikon 10-325 as mentioned by edohmann. It has a really attractive price and great reviews. I have a Rikon lathe and like it very much. I think Rikon offers a lot of value in their tools at decent prices.

I have a Powermatic 14" bandsaw and love it, but it sells for about $400 more than what I paid ~ 5 years ago.

Tom T

I have an 18 inch jet and love it. Not sure of the horse power. But it cuts everything. If you plan to do this for a while spend a little more and get the cut you want with the speed you want. This is suppose to be fun, not a pain in the under powered tool.

lwalper

I'm using a Walker Turner built, I believe, in 1939. It has 10" wheels and uses a 60" blade. When I got it there was a 1:1 pulley system on it giving a blade speed of about 4000 sfpm -- practically light speed. Got it cleaned up and re-geared to about 1000 sfpm. Works great! Only has about a 3 inch capacity, but for pen work it can't be beat. It's similar to this one (this is not mine - just an image I found on the internet).

Walker Turner Bandsaw

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I personally prefer a closed base - my Rikon has 2 shelves & is a great place to store extra blades and a few tools, but it's certainly not essential.

If you haven't already, I would go to your local WC store and look at all their band saws in person and compare their features

Top Bottom