Aluminum cone center with multiple tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I took a class and the instructor had several live centers that had multiple tips for them, including one that was a 60 degree aluminum cone. Does anyone know where I could find one of these multi-tip centers.

Thanks gang!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

OneWay Live Center comes with a couple of aluminum cones in the package. They also sell a pen turners tip with a 60 degree angle.

Ed McDonnell

The aluminum attachments (60 degree cone / bullnose) for the oneway live center are very useful with wood, but they don't last with metal contact. The steel 60 degree insert for the oneway that Ken mentioned is good, but a dedicated 60 degree live center is better for pen turning.

Ed

BradG

Ed, out of curiosity why don't they last with metal?... if they're live it shouldn't matter should it?

Ed McDonnell

Hi Brad - I suspect that tailstock pressure makes the mandrel end / bushing act a bit like a die over time. I also wonder if occasional slippage, associated with frequent starts and stops, tends to accelerate wear of the aluminum.

Mine got nibbled away pretty good. I'll post a picture if I get a chance.

Ed

KenV

The aluminum attachments (60 degree cone / bullnose) for the oneway live center are very useful with wood, but they don't last with metal contact. The steel 60 degree insert for the oneway that Ken mentioned is good, but a dedicated 60 degree live center is better for pen turning.

Ed

Ed - Being a tool junkie, I have all the above and a few more and cannot discern any significant differences in function between the different live center forms if they are steel and form a 60 degree angle. Except for for precision/runout -

Cheap 60 degree live centers tend to be less precise than the OneWay (mine certainly is) and if one has a OneWay/Powermatic, the 8 bucks or so for the OneWay pen center is a good investment for cost and better precision.

Nova Live Center with the 60 degree center is a good one too -- and is similar in function to the lower cost 60 degree center (as is the Robust)

the Aluminum cones are not a good durable solution for mandrel turning, but will get by for an occasional use. Aluminum is too soft and deforms too easy - but those aluminum cones are useful for lots of things.

Fish30114

Good points Ken, the instructor I had stated that using a 60 degree cone that is aluminum is a good idea when turning something that by design necessitates turning close to the cone, so if your too hits it, it won't damage your tool. I've got a couple stainless live 60 degree cone centers, and now I've got the one way multi-tip coming!

Off topic, does anyone know of a pen-saver type mandrel that is of a higher precision version?

Top Bottom