Almost useless Craftsman drill chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

For anyone who needs to purchase a drill chuck for their lathe, DO NOT buy a Craftsman. I did and have had numerous problems with it. The MT does not fit securely in the tailstock so most of the time when I back out the drill bit, it comes loose. The chuck itself is screwed into a threaded rod and sits a good 1"+ in front of the MT adapter, which makes it quite a bit less than rigid. The runout is close to .01". So much for Craftsman "quality."

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Unfortunately, I'm probably stuck with it. I bought it nearly a year ago and used it only a couple of times before I started making pens in August.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Unfortunately, I'm probably stuck with it. I bought it nearly a year ago and used it only a couple of times before I started making pens in August.

Craftsman guarantee is supposed to be an absolute lifetime warranty, no arguments. Unfortunately, our local Sears store is an independantly owned franchise and one can kiss his own posterior before getting warranty satisfaction from them. I stopped purchasing Craftsman tools thirty years ago. Specs. for the MT do have allowances. Some fit better/worse than others.

Fangar

Another thing you might try is a soft couple of smacks with a rubber mallet to set it into the tailstock. Also, if you are using the jet mini, you need to be sure that the quill is extended enough to allow inner clearance for the MT2. It is designed to back the MT2 out when it is fully retracted.

I third the motion for the 10 dollar HF chuck. Motion passed!

Cheers,

Fangar

lkorn

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Unfortunately, I'm probably stuck with it. I bought it nearly a year ago and used it only a couple of times before I started making pens in August.

Craftsman guarantee is supposed to be an absolute lifetime warranty, no arguments. Unfortunately, our local Sears store is an independantly owned franchise and one can kiss his own posterior before getting warranty satisfaction from them. I stopped purchasing Craftsman tools thirty years ago. Specs. for the MT do have allowances. Some fit better/worse than others.

The CRAFTSMAN gaurantee is for their "Hand Tools". If it has moving parts, or connects to something with a moving part, FUGGEDDABOUDIT!.

I bought a simple screw chuck from them when I first started turning. The removable screw part bent due to my error. Needless to say, there was no waranty nor were there replacement parts available.

Doghouse

There is a guy on ebay that sells a morse taper reamer. It will clean and remove any burrs from your MT. I have one and used is once so far. After that nothing has slipped out unless there was dust inside. A quick pinkie wipe and everything stays in place. Prob one of the better $20 I have spent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom