Almost ready to turn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Spent the late afternoon, evening building the workbench. Got it finished and the lathe unboxed and almost ready. :) First wood going on lathe this weekend.

Not a bad little bench, height is a little tall for the lathe, so either going to cut the legs or build a step. I am 6'1 and the table top is 36" we'll see how I decide to go. I might just chop 2" off the legs before I get it fully loaded with stuff. :)

Attachments

• 30711005_10156330058451419_1868397368890621952_n.jpg
    30711005_10156330058451419_1868397368890621952_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 30707404_10156330058871419_6636156928282066944_n.jpg
    30707404_10156330058871419_6636156928282066944_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice looking bench and lathe !!

I would suggest that you try the lathe for height before you make any adjustments.

With your height, the 36" might be just what you need. Everybody has different needs.

If you do decide to make an adjustment, I would advise against a step. If it were in my shop, I know that I would find the step very annoying.

randyrls

The most common height for a lathe is the spindle should be level with your elbow. I have mine slightly lower. The lathe should go close to the table edge where you are standing. You should bolt it down. This is recommended if you turn anything larger than bottle stopppers and even for those it is helpful. Hope this helps.

MDWine

We had a very accomplished turner at our Capital Area Woodturners meeting last weekend.

She was a short little gal, and the day-long presentation was great, as I hear her workshop was as well.

She had heard the "elbow rule" as well, but found that she had to lean over the lathe to work. After turning for some time, she began to have back problems and had to figure things out. She ended up changing the height so that she could stand up straight as she worked.

While the "elbow rule" (with all due respect, Randy) might work for some, it may not for you. After my discussion with her, I am re-evaluating my own setup.

Your bench looks great, you should be a proud papa!
Organization is key, and will definitely have an impact on your turning "comfort"... I know this from the other end of the spectrum!!

Congrats, keep the progress pictures coming!!

JimB

I am also 6'1" and have my mini lathe on a bench 1.5" lower than yours. I actually put a 2x4 under the lathe to raise it. If I used it a lot I would raise it more but it is a good height when other people come over.

My main lathe, a PM3520b has the Spindle height at 47". I have raised the lathe by 3" using 2x4's. I consider this a minimum height. If I did mostly Spindle work I would raise it more but I do mostly bowl work on it and with large bowls it will feel to close to my face if it is higher.

You do not want to be bending over as you turn. Your back will not like it.

Woodchipper

Elbow height is a rule of thumb but each person will have a comfortable lathe height. Bending over will put a lot of stress on the back. The older one gets, the more it becomes a problem.

PatrickR

A big no to the step. Just an accident waiting to happen. It's easier to raise a table than lower it. Try it like you have it and add blocks if needed.

Larryreitz

Good thread. I never thought much about lathe height until recently. I bought a new Jet variable speed with reverse bench top model. Its big and when I put it on my existing workbench the spindle height was 47 in. I'm 5'11", or at least I used to be. I was somewhat worried, but wanted to get going on it. Now I find it to be the most comfortable height I've ever turned at. Without bending over, my reading glasses (cheaters) correctly focus on the pen I'm turning and I find it so much easier to turn than I did on the Harbor freight, variable speed floor model, now used almost exclusively for squaring ends of blanks. So, let me second the "to each his own" comments voiced above. Good luck, Dennis, and enjoy the addiction.

MRDucks2

Looking at changing my lathe height. For me, it is not so much the back as the neck, since I have been told my neck is 20 years older than the rest of me. I find sitting down on standard chair to sand and polish help.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

DennisM

Thank you for the input. I will wait and see how it functions before changing anything. My observations were based on just standing next to it and comparing how my setup was before and it was a little lower, as I didnt have to lift my shoulder to drop the tool into the spindle as much.

As for the bech, thank you, it is not bad for a basic 2x4 build, I used a plan from the internet, But will be adding some design changes to it as the days progress, tool holder, mount for the grinder on the right etc.

Just needed something to start with and build off for now.

Woodchipper

Thank you for the input. I will wait and see how it functions before changing anything. My observations were based on just standing next to it and comparing how my setup was before and it was a little lower, as I didnt have to lift my shoulder to drop the tool into the spindle as much.

As for the bech, thank you, it is not bad for a basic 2x4 build, I used a plan from the internet, But will be adding some design changes to it as the days progress, tool holder, mount for the grinder on the right etc.

Just needed something to start with and build off for now.
The never ending task at hand!

DennisM

I have to say, working on the bench last night, I didnt really realize how much I missed my old workshop. Not for the size or anything, but the simpliness of just making something from nothing really.

I can not wait to get going again.

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are three basic heights to woodworking tools, but many younger and middle age people without back problems ignore them for the tables of everything being the same height for symmetry in working and out-feed. Looks good, serves a good logical purpose but ignores the ideal working conditions of the back for individual work station needs.

1. For power feed of long heavy boards into planers, waist high is ideal. Plenty of back and leg power are needed in this position. Finesse control is not needed, mostly just power - similar to linemen in football needing power to push off.

2. Table saws and machinery that need moderate control and moderate power should be at or just below elbow height.

3. Precision control like delicate work on router tables and lathes should be where it is close up to see the fine work (without bending over) and also allow for good hand/finger control.

I am 5' 10" and built a router table years ago. I built it at 42 inches for fine control and after using it many times - I was glad I made it so high. Nothing like fine control and easy to see the precision of the cuts when 1/100 inch made big differences.

What is the best height - it depends on your height. There are some high priced lathes that come with stands that tilt so that people with standing disabilities can turn while sitting. Many, probably most skilled scrollsawers sit while cutting. Face probably 12 to 18 inches from the cuttings with hands level with the elbows.

Don't ruin the back.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The bench looks great! All the suggestions above on the height are well represented, so I won't add further. Have fun!

DennisM

Thanks again.

Fired up the lathe last night and chucked up a left over blank from the old days, just to test it out. I have to say, 9 years ago the 60 dollar set of HSS lathe tools from harbor fright was one of their good buys, out of the box back then they were at least usable for a few turnings. Well...

Not anymore, the handles on a couple have glue on them and I think my butter knife has a sharper edge to it. So now its definitely time to buy the grinder and make the sharpening jig for it asap

As for the height, it didn't seem that bad in reality. Will see more this weekend once I get an actual edge on the tools, not this rounded aerodynamic edge thats on them now. :)

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Watch Woodcraft. I bought the Rikon low speed grinder on sale then took the plunge and got the Wolverine jig system. Surprising how good sharp tools turn.

DennisM

Watch Woodcraft. I bought the Rikon low speed grinder on sale then took the plunge and got the Wolverine jig system. Surprising how good sharp tools turn.

Right, I had a perfect jig I made for my old grinder, was mounted under it, and took a matter of 20 secs to get it back to scary sharp. That is my project for this weekend.

Top Bottom