Air Filtration for a 180 sq ft pen only shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Tony;
The Jet is a great machine. Also take a look at Rikon's 62-400 ($200.00), and 62-100. They are both available at WoodCraft stores. Keep in mind it will not only be the cost of the unit itself, but don't forget to consider the cost and availablilty of the filters. If they are hard to get, it usually is better to go with another unit. And the store you buy a unit at, may not keep filters in stock!
Also, an air filtration unit is not a replacement or substitute for a good Dust Collector!

KenV

Tony -- not too big -- just more than the minimum

That is a practical size, and will allow less frequent servicing and cleaning of the filters.

That will help keep the fine stuff from escaping -- you still need to trap at the source and get as much as possible of the fines caught quickly.

Tony;
They are all good machines, I just think the smaller Rikon might be a better fit for your small shop. But again, make sure you can readily obtain filters for whatever unit you decide on. A remote is a must, as you don't want to climb on a chair to turn it on or off. A timer is essential, too. You want to be able to have it turn off after a set period at the end of the day. A light to indicate it is on is a good thing, too. Most of these are so quiet, you will not be able to hear them running! Don't forget placement. I recommend hanging it close to your DC. The dust coming from the cloth bag on the DC is where most of your problem will be. Make sure you have an outlet close by for it and it can handle the additional load. Most of these have a very small amp draw, but what else have you got on the circuit?
Last but not least you can build one cheaper and better than any commercial unit. Make it fit the size you want, use high quality filters you can get anywhere, and for cheaper. Let em know if you want the plans emailed to you!

I have a similar sized shop - maybe a little smaller than 150 sq. ft. - and I have the Jet. Works fine. Mine hangs from the ceiling, completely out of the way. My wife and I got it up there without great incident.

I buy filters from Amazon. I think they come 6 in a box. They were about 1/4 of the cost of the filters at Lowe's.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Toni:

I agree with all comments above! I have that exact unit; ceiling mounted, and use it all the time. About 2x your space also! It is excellent! I have a separate JET collector behind my lathe, so the ceiling unit is more for general room duct! I am happy with it!

Old Codger

Tony...Your shop is a little smaller than mine, but I use two of the smaller Rikon 62-100's plus a 20" box fan fitted with a hepa filter to clean my shop. I place 'pre-filters' on both Rikon filtration systems and I'm amazed at the amount of dust they all collect in a short period of time. I turn everything from pens to smaller bowls/box's. The pre-filters are regular filters I pick up at any of the big box stores and duct tape to the rear of the filtration units and box fan and change regularly when they become dirty, since they are MUCH less expensive than the two filters on the filtration systems. I use a large shop vacuum with a hepa filter w/Oneida dust deputy attached to my lathe but plan on replacing it larger Grizzly/Harbor Frieght dust collector. Since your shop is a little smaller, I would think a dust collector and an smaller air filtration system w/pre filter would be just fine... Have you considered venting your shop to an outside area also??? Safe turning to you!

TonyL

Outside venting is not an option for me. But buidling one myself is. Thank you for all of the great advice. I will use it!

longbeard

Hey Tony
After visiting with you last Saturday and seeing how well your dust collector works, i finally got the dust collector from my BIL. Be hooking it up this week coming.

Thank you for the hospitality, it was great visiting with you.

Harry

Crashmph

anything is better than nothing. You can make a simple one out of a box fan and some filters from home depot.

your lungs will thank you later for sure.

Top Bottom