Air Compressor Troubles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NC Wood Art

I ran a tool repair company for 13 years. They make those single stage compressors with dual voltage motors 115-120v or 230-240v. You use half the amperage on a 230 volt line than a 115v. The diagram for low voltage is 115-120, the high voltage is 230-240v. You can change the wiring per the motor diagram- they normally have plug on them for 115-120V- if it is designed or prewired for 230-240V it will not even usually have a wire on it at all. You wire straight from disconnect switch to compressor. The wiring diagram on motor is simple enough to follow & usually only 2 wires to switch voltage.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I ran a tool repair company for 13 years. They make those single stage compressors with dual voltage motors 115-120v or 230-240v. You use half the amperage on a 230 volt line than a 115v. The diagram for low voltage is 115-120, the high voltage is 230-240v. You can change the wiring per the motor diagram- they normally have plug on them for 115-120V- if it is designed or prewired for 230-240V it will not even usually have a wire on it at all. You wire straight from disconnect switch to compressor. The wiring diagram on motor is simple enough to follow & usually only 2 wires to switch voltage.

Bill

The thing is though you do not send a motor out with one voltage listed then, which this was the case here.

airborne_r6

Bill

The motor on this compressor was not a dual voltage motor. Please go look at the picture of the motor plate that was shown. If you ran a tool repair company for 13 years you should be able to read it.

airborne_r6

I'd take it back.. (Campbell Hausfeld discontinued that motor)
That motor can be wired 120 or 240, but should be marked the way
it was wired. (not marked 120 and wired 240) so you're not really
sure what is going on yet. I wouldn't monkey with it

This is wrong, the motor plate does not show a 240V option.

No, it doesn't. The website says that this a 120/240 motor and can be
wired either way. That's why it doesn't make sense to me. Something
is hinky... I wouldn't trust it.

What the internet says is utterly and completely useless. The only thing that matters is what the motor plate says.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
What the internet says is utterly and completely useless. The only thing that matters is what the motor plate says.

It was a PDF from Campbell Hausfeld's website. Several, in fact.
So not everything on the internet is "utterly and completely useless."1
... unless you were talking about this post..

PWL

I think it was the floor model because it was returned with a bad motor and it was replaced with the wrong motor for that model ac? A repair tech in a hurry?
Just my opinion. Wire it for 110,see if it runs,then make your decision.

PW

airborne_r6

I don't care what the source was. The ONLY information about a motor that is guaranteed to be correct is the motor name plate, especially if you are looking at Campbell Hausfeld's website for information about a Husky compressor, rebranded or or not. As proof, you stated twice that the website said the motor was 120/240V and this motor was not. When it comes to motors, the only thing you can trust is the motor nameplate, period.

jttheclockman

I don't care what the source was. The ONLY information about a motor that is guaranteed to be correct is the motor name plate, especially if you are looking at Campbell Hausfeld's website for information about a Husky compressor, rebranded or or not. As proof, you stated twice that the website said the motor was 120/240V and this motor was not. When it comes to motors, the only thing you can trust is the motor nameplate, period.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh you hope. Things happen.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

who peed in your cornflakes?

You don't have any idea what that motor is. Neither do I.
This is why I said (more than once) that I wouldn't trust it.

The part number on that motor is what I looked up. I have no idea
if that name plate is the one for that motor, if the motor was a refurb,
if someone put the wrong plate on it, perhaps they have a different
name plate for pre-wired motors (and don't tell the consumer) etc.
etc.
I did not seek out info from CH. I looked up the motor part number.
Every website I found says that this number is a 120/240 motor
and has been discontinued. That info doesn't match his description.
Therefore, I wouldn't trust it. Return it.

And on any product where the provenance is in question like this,
I wouldn't trust the nameplate, either.

airborne_r6

All of the people who are giving electrical advice and have no idea what they are talking about and have no actual experience working with motors beyond plugging them in. And just so you don't go and feel like I am singling you out, this includes basically everyone who has posted in the thread.

Beyond "take it back", all of the advice that has been posted in this thread is some combination of wrong, well meaning but ignorant, useless, dangerous or just plain stupid.

I am sorry if I am offending everyone who has posted, but electricity is nothing to joke around with. I worked as an electrical apprentice for years and have well more than enough hours to test for my journeyman's license but knew I wasn't going to do it for a living and never bothered taking the test. I am currently a second year medical student.

I have been intentionally very blunt in pointing out errors in posts in this thread hopefully so that I get the point across that people shouldn't be giving electrical advice on the internet. The only reason I even chimed in was because of the gross errors and lack of understanding in what was being posted.

This will be the last post I make regarding this.

Crashmph

Let me end the madness...

Ok... here is what has happened over the past few days.

Called Home Depot product support, got transferred to my "local store" only to have the nice gentleman on the phone (I will not out the man by name as he lives in my neighborhood) told me that that AC was for commercial use only and that the power in my house could not support a "two-phase" power requirement. I asked if he meant 3-phase, and he said no, that he intended to say "two-phase". I then pointed out that the motor plate and manual both stated single phase. He then changed gears to say that the motor required 240V of power and that my house could only support 220V. That is where I thanked him for his time and hung up. I was actually quite polite about it.

Called up Marathon Electric... The motor is the correct motor for the compressor, but the plate is incorrect. I explained over the phone to a very knowledgeable chap what all I went through to trouble shoot, and how I had done to isolate it down to the motor having problems. They offered to send me a replacement. I said thanks but no thanks as I would just return the AC.

Returned to Home Depot with the compressor. Walked up to the return counter and explained that I had a return and I would need a forklift/pallet jack to get it in the store. I explained that it was an AC and she called a forklift driver to the front. Walking with the guy to my truck at the contractor entrance, I explained the past few weeks and the "interesting" phone call for support. That was when he told me he was the manager on shift today; I thought I was just talking to a regular forklift driver.

He then asked if I wanted to exchange it, and I explained that it was a floor model, mine was the last one, they discontinued the model, etc... He asked for my receipt and asked if I was "done" with the Husky brand? I explained that one bad product does not kill it for me, but two in a row would. He offered to swap out the floor model I bought for the new one still strech wrapped up. Of course I said yes.

Here is the new AC. All of the wiring was already done so it was very easy and quick to get this one hooked up. The new AC is fully operational. Here is a picture of it below.

New Husky AC.jpg

The little blue one there is off to craigslist now. I can hardly believe how much quieter this new 60 gal is over my old oil-less 20 Gal. It is even quieter than the returned 60 Gal, when it was running.

Now I just have to drill new mount point holes for it. The returned AC had three legs and this one has four. Oh well, at least I get to reuse one of the holes from the previous AC.

In my opinion, Home Depot management went above and beyond to call to make things right with the customer with regard to me. I was not even a ridiculously upset person over the whole ordeal.

Michael

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Ok... here is what has happened over the past few days.

Called Home Depot product support, got transferred to my "local store" only to have the nice gentleman on the phone (I will not out the man by name as he lives in my neighborhood) told me that that AC was for commercial use only and that the power in my house could not support a "two-phase" power requirement. I asked if he meant 3-phase, and he said no, that he intended to say "two-phase". I then pointed out that the motor plate and manual both stated single phase. He then changed gears to say that the motor required 240V of power and that my house could only support 220V. That is where I thanked him for his time and hung up. I was actually quite polite about it.

Called up Marathon Electric... The motor is the correct motor for the compressor, but the plate is incorrect. I explained over the phone to a very knowledgeable chap what all I went through to trouble shoot, and how I had done to isolate it down to the motor having problems. They offered to send me a replacement. I said thanks but no thanks as I would just return the AC.

Returned to Home Depot with the compressor. Walked up to the return counter and explained that I had a return and I would need a forklift/pallet jack to get it in the store. I explained that it was an AC and she called a forklift driver to the front. Walking with the guy to my truck at the contractor entrance, I explained the past few weeks and the "interesting" phone call for support. That was when he told me he was the manager on shift today; I thought I was just talking to a regular forklift driver.

He then asked if I wanted to exchange it, and I explained that it was a floor model, mine was the last one, they discontinued the model, etc... He asked for my receipt and asked if I was "done" with the Husky brand? I explained that one bad product does not kill it for me, but two in a row would. He offered to swap out the floor model I bought for the new one still strech wrapped up. Of course I said yes.

Here is the new AC. All of the wiring was already done so it was very easy and quick to get this one hooked up. The new AC is fully operational. Here is a picture of it below.

View attachment 86970

The little blue one there is off to craigslist now. I can hardly believe how much quieter this new 60 gal is over my old oil-less 20 Gal. It is even quieter than the returned 60 Gal, when it was running.

Now I just have to drill new mount point holes for it. The returned AC had three legs and this one has four. Oh well, at least I get to reuse one of the holes from the previous AC.

In my opinion, Home Depot management went above and beyond to call to make things right with the customer with regard to me. I was not even a ridiculously upset person over the whole ordeal.

Michael

I'm glad you got it resolved. One time we were using a credit union and they made an error with our account. I paid them a visit, explained the error, showed them the documentation. The person said "I'm surprised you are not angry" to which I replied" I don't need to be upset. I am right".

Did you see the post regarding somelocal penturners getting together in January?

jttheclockman

Glad to hear things worked out.

Goes to show you name plates can be wrong. How about that. Thanks for the update and good luck with it.

That is alot of compressor.

jttheclockman

All of the people who are giving electrical advice and have no idea what they are talking about and have no actual experience working with motors beyond plugging them in. And just so you don't go and feel like I am singling you out, this includes basically everyone who has posted in the thread.

Beyond "take it back", all of the advice that has been posted in this thread is some combination of wrong, well meaning but ignorant, useless, dangerous or just plain stupid.

I am sorry if I am offending everyone who has posted, but electricity is nothing to joke around with. I worked as an electrical apprentice for years and have well more than enough hours to test for my journeyman's license but knew I wasn't going to do it for a living and never bothered taking the test. I am currently a second year medical student.

I have been intentionally very blunt in pointing out errors in posts in this thread hopefully so that I get the point across that people shouldn't be giving electrical advice on the internet. The only reason I even chimed in was because of the gross errors and lack of understanding in what was being posted.

This will be the last post I make regarding this.

Easy there Wayne my friend. I am an IBEW card carrying electrician for 40 years and have worked on more motors than you have seen in your lifetime. I have not given this person one ounce of bad info. And as I look back the only real bad info came from you and here is your quote. Now look at what the operator just updated us on and read the part about the nameplate that the motor company said. These things can happen. I have seen all kinds of miswired and mislabeled equipment over the years especially if the company deals with countrys where the voltage and cycles is different than ours. Things get mixed up for sure.

Have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLondon88
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne_r6

airborne_r6

[
Easy there Wayne my friend. I am an IBEW card carrying electrician for 40 years and have worked on more motors than you have seen in your lifetime. I have not given this person one ounce of bad info. And as I look back the only real bad info came from you and here is your quote. Now look at what the operator just updated us on and read the part about the nameplate that the motor company said. These things can happen. I have seen all kinds of miswired and mislabeled equipment over the years especially if the company deals with countrys where the voltage and cycles is different than ours. Things get mixed up for sure.

Have a great day.

Every now and then I dig in my heels about something where I am wrong and in addition to ending up with egg on my face I become I royal ass. This is one of those circumstances. I seem to need constant reminding that no matter how much I know, I don't know everything and am not always right.

As I have reviewed my posts in this thread, every post after my first post was pointless, argumentative, rude, arrogant and just plain stupid.

I apologize; I am sorry for my behavior and hope that you all will not think that this is the type of person that I am all the time.

jttheclockman

We all make mistakes. That is why we are humans.:biggrin: The bottom line is the person involved got a favorable outcome and all is well. We move on. Happy New Year!!!

PenMan1

Michael:
If you are truely satisfied with the efforts of the Home Depot Associate who made the manufacturing error "not your problem", you should go to the Home Depot website and leave a comment.

Home Depot (whose corporate headquarters are here) puts the needs, actions and resposibilities of the "front line Associates above EVERYTHING AND EVERBODY ELSE inside the company. The ONLY people more important in the Home Depot organization is the YOU their Customer.

HD has made great efforts to empower the front line associates, and "the store support center" loves to hear "the voice of the customer", both when these Associates thrive and when they fall short.

I'd be willing to bet that HD would be interested in hearing your story. And I'm glad your saga is over.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Every now and then I dig in my heels about something where I am wrong and in addition to ending up with egg on my face I become I royal ass. This is one of those circumstances. I seem to need constant reminding that no matter how much I know, I don't know everything and am not always right.

As I have reviewed my posts in this thread, every post after my first post was pointless, argumentative, rude, arrogant and just plain stupid.

I apologize; I am sorry for my behavior and hope that you all will not think that this is the type of person that I am all the time.

well crap... if you're going to be decent about it, we don't get to spike the ball! :tongue:

Top Bottom