Age-old question: drill chuck or drill press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah1_8

The question arises again:

Drill Press

or

Drill Chuck for the lathe

Okay, here's the rub... The press can be picked up immediately, in-store. It's versatile, as in I can drill all sorts of stuff--however, I haven't, to date, had great need for a drill press--though it has come up once in awhile.

The drill chuck, on the other hand, is excellent for drilling on the lathe. Pretty much a singular purpose, though. Much more precise than the press, it should make some lathe jobs easier. Oh, and add around $10 shipping for ground delivery.

The kicker is my lathe isn't a fancy one. It doesn't have the most user-friendly tailstock, and it probably isn't super-precise because of that. It does get the job done, though, and it brings me a great deal of pleasure using it.

It should be noted, that I have not actually started turning pens yet. I plan to start out making a few scratch-awls, and some shaving brush handles before I move on to something as precise as pen turning (I'm very interested in turning bic pens, if that makes any difference in the decision.)

What would you do? Any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

termitepenman

I use a drill chuck on my HF. It works good for me. I even turn between centers. I have a brand new Jet lathe but still like to turn on my HF. All the pens on my threads were turned on my HF mini lathe.

Dennis
Sacramento, CA

thetalbott4

I would learn to drill on the lathe first. Its actually an incredibly accurate way to drill. Then you can save up for a good quality drill press down the road. The best of both worlds.

Daniel

Here is what I did do. I also had a lathe with an "Unfriendly" Tail stock. Even though I read comments from just about everyone about how accurate drilling ont he lathe was. I knew they where not talking about my lathe. I used a drill press. Since then I have gotten a mini metal lathe. and I Did use it for drilling what I could in it. I then bought a good enough wood lathe. and I now use it to drill also. And others are right about a lathe that is half way decent. I still own my original wood lathe and still would not try to drill on it although I would not hesitate to do so on my new one.

If you do not have a 4 jaw chuck then the lathe drilling option is going to be considerably more expensive.

In the end. I also think that drilling on the lathe is the most consistently accurate way to drill a blank. I will still drill on the press first. but any time I need accurate drill. I go to the lathe. for me both methods have an advantage and a draw back. I use them in accordance to how they fit my need. drill press, less accurate faster. lathe slower but dead on accurate.

One more note. be aware that those low price bench top presses do not have a quill travel needed for drilling many pen blanks in one pass. there are some easy remedies to this problem just be aware of what you are considering buying. you may be looking to replace it sooner than you might think.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Drilling on the lathe is probably the best way to go but, I don't think your lathe bed is long enough?. 12 inches?
Headstock chuck ( Scroll chuck with pin jaws?) Couple of inches:)
Tailstock chuck ( Jacobs ) Couple inches:redface:
Drill bit. Some more inches:frown:
Blank. :eek: Oops....no space left:mad:

:wink: Sorry!!

micah1_8

Do you already have a four jaw chuck?

I think both drill press and drill chuck would be nice additions for not much money.

See, there's part of the problem. As it stands, I'm having to mount my work directly to a faceplate or turn between centers. On the other hand, it affords me a little more room for a workpiece.

Here is what I did do. I also had a lathe with an "Unfriendly" Tail stock. Even though I read comments from just about everyone about how accurate drilling ont he lathe was. I knew they where not talking about my lathe. I used a drill press. Since then I have gotten a mini metal lathe. and I Did use it for drilling what I could in it. I then bought a good enough wood lathe. and I now use it to drill also. And others are right about a lathe that is half way decent. I still own my original wood lathe and still would not try to drill on it although I would not hesitate to do so on my new one.

If you do not have a 4 jaw chuck then the lathe drilling option is going to be considerably more expensive.

In the end. I also think that drilling on the lathe is the most consistently accurate way to drill a blank. I will still drill on the press first. but any time I need accurate drill. I go to the lathe. for me both methods have an advantage and a draw back. I use them in accordance to how they fit my need. drill press, less accurate faster. lathe slower but dead on accurate.

One more note. be aware that those low price bench top presses do not have a quill travel needed for drilling many pen blanks in one pass. there are some easy remedies to this problem just be aware of what you are considering buying. you may be looking to replace it sooner than you might think.

Oh yeah, I've never been under any delusions that my lathe was one of the better ones. I tend to be one of those "it's good enough for what I do" kind of guys, though. I honestly don't see myself ever upgrading to a higher-end lathe, and so I'm trying to squeeze the most value I can out of this one.

Drilling on the lathe is probably the best way to go but, I don't think your lathe bed is long enough?. 12 inches?
Headstock chuck ( Scroll chuck with pin jaws?) Couple of inches:)
Tailstock chuck ( Jacobs ) Couple inches:redface:
Drill bit. Some more inches:frown:
Blank. :eek: Oops....no space left:mad:

:wink: Sorry!!

Yeah, this is another problem I've considered. I'm not using a jawed chuck, so that buys me a little room, and I've seen one of these lathes with a drill chuck mounted in the tailstock--I think it will do what I need it to. I've also seen one of these use the drill chuck as a small 3-jaw chuck for holding small pieces like brush handles or bottle stoppers, which makes me think I might get at least a little utility out of a chuck.

Top Bottom