Advice on New Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I've been using a 1980's model Craftsman 14" Bandsaw I bought at an Estate Sale for $60 for about three years now. When I bought it, it had a terrible wobble so I switched out the old rubber tires for some fancy urethanes. That helped some but it appears that whomever had the bandsaw before I did never let off the tension and over the years warped the lower cast wheel.

I really want to get into resawing my own timber and have a bandsaw that doesnt wobble as bad. I feel that I've narrowed down my selection to the Rikon 10-326 or the Grizzly G0555X (with riser attachment).

Anyone have any advice, pros/cons, recommendations on something else they would like to share? Thanks!

P.S. - I really want to stay in the 110V range as I don't have 220V in the location nor do I want to run a 220 service over to the bandsaw

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allmaclean

I am in the market for same. Had mine narrowed down to the 555LX. Shipping seems high though. Does Grizzly ever over discounts on that or on price?

RBcarving

Herb is right. If you have the cash that Grizzly G0513ANV 17" is a nice piece. Ive had mine (old model #/same saw) for several years and it runs really smooth and has plenty of power.

Herb G

I am in the market for same. Had mine narrowed down to the 555LX. Shipping seems high though. Does Grizzly ever over discounts on that or on price?

Sometimes they have a "flash sale" and have free s&h.

Herb is right. If you have the cash that Grizzly G0513ANV 17" is a nice piece. Ive had mine (old model #/same saw) for several years and it runs really smooth and has plenty of power.
Yeah, I hear you on that. It's kind of my "dream saw". One has to dream now & then. :)

Grizzly has that saw on sale around the holidays every year for $850 shipped. In case you can wait. :wink:

kitestir

I have the 555 black anniversary edition. Same saw as the 555lx just black. It was what I could afford at the time. I bought it 2 years ago on Black Friday for $419 shipped to my local freight center. It was half the price of the 17". It is a great band saw for me. I do not need the extra clearance from the riser kit. This is good because I would say it is under powered for that! I can run a half inch blade with no issues, but when I go to a 3/4 blade it struggles a bit and bogs down when re sawing anything toward the max clearance. It is a very slow process to rip even a 6" 8/4 quarter board in maple etc.

So if you have the ability to afford the 17" I would say go with that or save up until you can afford it as you already have the old band saw. It has a 2hp motor vs th 1hp motor in the 14" which is a huge improvement all by itself.

The 555x does have a 1.5 hp motor, but when you add the cost of the riser the 17" saw is basically the same price for a better saw.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have the Rikon 10-325 (predecessor to the 10-326) and I'm very happy with it.

I have no experience with the Grizzly, so I can't give you any comparison comments.

Top Bottom