Acme Taps & Dies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodster Will

Anyone used these for pen making? I can't help thinking they'd look nicer than standard threads on a pen and the tools are easily available and much, much cheaper than triple start taps etc. Just a thought.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

There was a pen on here not long ago that used acme threads and it looked like a good application. I checked prices for the tap and dies and what I saw were not cheap. Is there a good source that you know of?

Woodster Will

There was a pen on here not long ago that used acme threads and it looked like a good application. I checked prices for the tap and dies and what I saw were not cheap. Is there a good source that you know of?

No, not where you are. Over here in the UK they start at about £20 which isn't cheap compared to an ordinary tap but it's way cheaper than a multi start.

PatrickR

I checked again and taps here are $75 and up, it also appears that 2 dies are required, a rougher and a finisher. In the recent group buy the triples were comparable.

jalbert

These aren't Acme, but similar concept. I find they have great appeal to me over multi-start threads, as being single start, if I have grain or facets that need to line up when the pen is capped, these allow them to line up every time rather than having a 1/n chance of alignment as with multi start threads. I cut these on a metal lathe.

Attachments

• DSC_0839.jpg
    DSC_0839.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 212

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Good find Will. I'm very surprised. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. ( Just check left or right handed :wink: )

Woodster Will

These aren't Acme, but similar concept. I find they have great appeal to me over multi-start threads, as being single start, if I have grain or facets that need to line up when the pen is capped, these allow them to line up every time rather than having a 1/n chance of alignment as with multi start threads. I cut these on a metal lathe.

That Pen looks nice John!

Top Bottom