Abranet - Any Reason Not To Use It?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I started using Abranet for sanding up to 600 on wood, acrylic, CA etc about 3 weeks and 7 pens ago. I can't find a reason not to use it instead of the 5 pack of sanding strips. Am I missing something besides the cost?

Thanks for reading!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I love it, but don't know it's not as popular as the rolls. Is it just a cost issue? Or is it about function?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I started with a 5 pack of sanding strips & didn't really like them. I attended a pen making demo at Woodcraft & the guy used Mirka Goldflex so I gave that a try & really like it for wood but I wasn't too crazy about it for acrylics. I recently tried Abranet (also a Mirka product) and I do like it better for acrylic. I usually start at 320 or 400 on acrylic & wet sand with it up to 600 then switch to mm.

I still use the Goldflex for most of my wood pens, but every once in a while I run into a blank where Abranet works better than the Goldflex. I believe that both are better quality than the rolls and are also easier to use & give more consistent results on curved & irregular surfaces.

I think the rolls are as popular as they are mainly due to their apparent lower cost.

rherrell

I love it, I use it on all my projects and I ESPECIALLY like the dust collection capabilities. I have the Mirka 5" orbital sander hooked up to a Festool dust collector and there is virtually NO dust generated. Like you said, it's expensive but I don't care, dust free sanding is PRICELESS!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

They sell it in rolls also

You are right that cost is the major drawback for some. For me honestly even though I do use it some - especially for higher grits.

There is another time I don't like to use it - for wet sanding with oils or finish that will build up heavily.

Dust goes though easy which is nice.

pesto126

I use them and like then a lot .... for the hobby turner - the cost isn't that bad since we don't go through them that quickly!

RKB

I love Abranet. Works very well in cutting CA finish smooth. It is my first choice for sanding. I use it to 600 then use EEE and then finish on the buffer, back to the lathe for a coat of HUT polish. This seems to be working for me.

toddlajoie

For me it's a combination of several issues. Cost is a minor issue, but I am NOTORIOUSLY cheap:wink:. I prefer to buy decent wet-dry paper and use it for everything, then I don't need to keep track of 2 different sets of material, or think too much about which is used for what when I go for the paper. I also prefer not to worry too much about being frugal and efficient with sandpaper, so I cut the sheets up to 4"x1" strips, which is just about how much I need for most wood pens, so I don't have to keep track of half used pieces. On acrylics I use a good bit less (wet sanding reduces the clogging) and I just tear off the part of the strip that got used if there is enough left to be useful. If not I just toss the strip, as they cost a fraction of a penny each...

TonyL

Anybody know where to buy the rolls less expensively (beyond the Amazons and Ebays)?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I buy the 10 packs of 8" sheets at Woodcraft. I cut them into 1" strips, so I get 80 strips from a pack - about 25 cents per strip and I usually get 3-5 pens from each strip. So even though a pack seems expensive, it really isn't that bad.

You can get them a little cheaper from Amazon, but I drive right by a WC store every day and I like to throw them a little business when I can.

philb

Use it up to 600 Grit, wood, CA and acrylics.
Buy in Boxes 50, cut strips in half and throw away once clogged.

Doesnt get as hot as normal paper, and easy to flick the dust out into the extractor. Win,Win

$17.50 a box / 50 sheets, cut in half.
Makes $0.17 a piece and probably 3 pens miniumumm from that (more like 4-5), so not as expensive as it first looks

pinelumber

mirka

Albrarnet and gold sand paper are just great. I can get about 30 to 40 pens or 3 or 4 bowls out of a set of albranet!! You can now get the mesh from 80 to 800 grit. There are disks you can get from 40 grit. And small discs to 4000 grit what more do you need??

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Last edited:

plano_harry

Abranet is not expensive. I buy the 2-3/4x8 10 packs and cut them in half. They last forever. I use 400 for dry sanding and 600 for my first wet grit before MM. I use the 600 over an old MM pad like a sanding block to distribute the pressure.

They never leave stray scratches which require time to fix, so that is money back in the bank.

edstreet

I started using Abranet for sanding up to 600 on wood, acrylic, CA etc about 3 weeks and 7 pens ago. I can't find a reason not to use it instead of the 5 pack of sanding strips. Am I missing something besides the cost?

Thanks for reading!

You are also missing the boat on the cost as well.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/sanding-question-111588/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/abranet-trick-117740/#post1609803

Pay particular attention to the first link. Most specifically to the 2 posts that I made.

Let me step in here for a minute.

I use Abranet screen and LOVE it. There is no sand paper on the market that can beat the effects of abranet, reasons include: DUST, heat build up, less paper needed, less clogage, less surface areas of screen needed to do the job and SPEED.

I started off with the small sample packs you can get with the various grit then I moved up to the rolls.

106363d1388188948-abranet-trick-193375_4124291187499_503259177_o.jpg

Box = 50x 80 grit 3" round disc.
top left = 2 3/4" x 10 yard roll 180 grit.
top right = 2 3/4" x 10 yard roll 240 grit.
bottom right = 3 2/3" x 25 yard roll 500 grit.

I bought these from
Mirka Abranet Mesh Abrasive Roll

Also Woodcraft sells a variety pack in the boxes which is a step in the right direction for small small projects but you will find you tend to use 2-3 sizes. They also sell mini rolls of what I displayed above. Craftsupply USA also has the small packs but not the rolls.

Also note the screen being more aggressive than normal paper you will need less grades (grit ranges) to do the same job. Even on the hardest bowls I have worked with it is 80, 120, 240, 400 and 600 is my favorite for hand sanding and you will get the baby ass smooth with that grit.

Do yourself a favor, get the 3" round disc, get the 3" backer and the 3" pad with drill arbor, slap that joker into a hand drill and goto town, you can do the full sanding on a non-round block to final size in seconds with 80 grit screen. Also keep in mind that the hand drill is REVERSIBLE so that means angle of impact and sanding angle can play a HUGE role, tho granted this is more a factor in bowl making than pen making.

I can not stress enough how effective screen is over paper, with sandpaper the goal is to remove material, on paper it clogs up very easy, on screen it falls through the holes and you can use the screen until it's exhausted (you can do that with paper but you will have to stop and clean it very often)

3" Interface Backing Pads at Woodcraft

and

3" Hook and Loop Pad with 1 4 Shank at Woodcraft

The backing pad is expendable and comes in various hardness. That is for use by the grade paper you are using but there is no hard pressed law that says you have to use one hardness. You can also hand hold the backing pad with the screen on.

Some say that abranet screen last 3x to 5x longer than classic paper based sandpaper, generally from what I have seen yes that is somewhat mostly true. Being a student of water stones I can tell you this much it depends on what you are sanding and the structure of the material.

Some of the higher grade papers out there use a harder abrasive which makes that to last longer.

I use abranet and like it but it is not my goto for sanding. It is expensive and for my purpose I will stick with my sandpaper and MM.

Lets look this cost wise (been there done that)

Wood craft 3/4" x 15 feet rolls = 135 sq in. @ $15.
$0.11 / sq in.

Craft supply USA 5 pack of 2 3/4" x 5", so that is 2 3/4" x 25" = 68.75 sq in @$5.10.
$0.07 / sq in.

Beaver industrial (link I posted) 4 1/2" x 10 yards = 1620 sq in @$41.38.
$0.025 / sq in.

That is 4.4 times the cost going from beaver supply to wood craft and 2.8 times the cost going to Craft Supply USA.

-----

Lets look at norton 3x paper, 320 grit (same as above) in sheets 9" x 11" and 20 paper pack. Which is 1980 sq inch.

Wood craft $13.69 = $0.007 / sq in
Craft supply USA $10.25 = $0.005 / sq in

Assuming the 3-5 times longer than the norton 3x is indeed true. That would be $0.015 to $0.025 for norton 3x from Craft supply USA vs $0.025 for abranet from beaver industrial. You might even be able to find a source, in bulk, that would be yet cheaper still for norton 3x.

Conclusion: cost is about equal from norton 3x to abranet assuming that abranet will last is 3-5 times that of norton 3x.

Couple this with the other advantages from the screen AND from the paper then screen will win out when the day is over and done with.

I will let you mull over the depth of the complexity of my post. The second link shows some photo's.

Again and again hands down buying by the rolls will win out any day of the week. Abranet Mesh Abrasive Roll

SteveG

I want to add mention of this benefit of buying Abranet in bulk. A while back I followed Ed's link to BIS to buy the large rolls and as a result, enjoy my pen turning at least TWICE as much as I used to! Before, I would tend to extend my use of Abranet beyond the "Right" point to toss and replace. Result: sanding not as good as it should be, etc. Now, since I know I have it at a good price, I am very quick to toss and replace. Also, my approach is..."If in doubt, throw it out." So pen turning is much more enjoyable, and the pens are better. Since I am a legend in my own mind:eek::eek: , I will make this 'celebrity' endorsement: I recommend buy bulk Abranet. Period.:biggrin: :wink:

TonyL

Thanks folks, you all confirmed what I suspected. I am going to get some rolls.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just wondering if the discounts listed on the sites Ed provided are for mixable grits or do you have to order 30 of the same grit?

raar25

Actually they are cheaper than sandpaper considering the life. I get at least 100 pens per set 80,120,180, 240, 320, 400, 600. Since I buy 5" round and cut them in half I am saving $$ compared to discarding paper almost every pen.

Woodcraft sells it in 1" rolls in a multipack, how they do this I don't know since that isn't a standard width.
It is a great product for anything that would clog normal sandpaper, like a CA finish, oily woods (Cocobolo Ebony) or removing previous finishes.
We also sell it in rolls, maybe not so economical as Beavertools (we aren't a distributor like the are). But we do sell it by the foot, which they do not and if you don't want to buy 2 3/4" by 30 ft. We don't currently sell the wider rolls.
If you are into Facebook (TURNINGWOOD.com) , we have a sale coming up that would make it (with coupon) more palatable.
If I have overstepped my bounds as a poster and not a sponsor (which I would love to be), then delete this post.

Top Bottom