72 inch belt grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Although I'm not into knife making ( yet :wink: ) I always wanted to make a 72 inch belt grinder.
I could have copied thousands of cool designs on the web but that would mean buying lots of material. I wanted to use what I have if possible.
This is what I came up with.....I'm pretty pleased. I'll make a few other attachments but this should get me going. :biggrin:
Made of T6 aluminium and stainless steel and a bit of channel iron. :biggrin:

Just waiting for a new motor.......apparently lost in the post....:frown:

Attachments

• Grinder 1.jpg
    Grinder 1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Grinder 2.jpg
    Grinder 2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Grinder 3.jpg
    Grinder 3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Grinder 4.jpg
    Grinder 4.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Grinder 5.jpg
    Grinder 5.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Grinder 6.jpg
    Grinder 6.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Grinder 7.jpg
    Grinder 7.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 363
  • Grinder 8.jpg
    Grinder 8.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
If anyone could build one free hand (with your own parts) - I knew you could do it! :biggrin:

NICE and functional!

Along this same line, I turned my 8 in grinder into a CBN Wheel grinder for my HSS lathe tools and then suddenly needed a sharpener grinder for my other tools. So what did I turn to - my 12" Disc sander. Belts and discs do excellent on sharpening and grinding other things.

Your knives will love it! :good:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm curious as to why you would want a 72 inch belt sander - but it does look pretty cool!

A real man doesn't have to NEED to have the tools ....... it's just the hunter-gatherer in me.....I collect crap:biggrin:

Nice, but the bedroom closet in the background? Wife not home?

LMAO....No Bruce...that is the outside of my Rat Cave ( garage :wink: )
I was going to take pics of it inside......but it's a bit like the 'Where's Wally?' images :biggrin: Can you spot it?:biggrin:

Attachments

• Inside of a skip.jpg
    Inside of a skip.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 313

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Really Nice, one of those is on my wish list. I havent figured out whether I will buy one or build it myself. So far I have done neither.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
LMAO....No Bruce...that is the outside of my Rat Cave ( garage :wink: )
I was going to take pics of it inside......but it's a bit like the 'Where's Wally?' images :biggrin: Can you spot it?:biggrin:

Sure, just right of the DANGER sign (Where's Will Robinson?)

Very nice sander! I bet you could make a pen with that!! Maybe even faceted. :)

lorbay

Wow. Very cool Skip. It's the tool in you thing. Lol. Same thing with me, not a knife guy but I want one of those 72 inch belt sanders or grinder if you a knife guy. Lol
Here is the one I built. Hey I am steel fabricator.:biggrin::biggrin:
Lin

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 251

More4dan

I built my own 2x72 grinder a couple years ago. Very satisfying experience. For your drive, are you going with variable speed. I used step pulleys like on a drill press. For your motor you will want TEFC. Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. It is impossible to get dust or metal into the motor windings. I used a 110v single phase 1 1/2 HP TEFC motor. Let me know if you have any questions. You'll love the versatility of the grinder once it's up and running.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Charlie_W

Super job on the sander Skip! I noticed it appears in the pic you are using domed wheels. These help with tracking in addition to your adjustment screw/ hinge.
I have an older(1980's) 1" X 42" Delta vertical belt sander. The original drive wheel was plastic and it fractured and broke some years ago....I had a fabrication shop turn a new wheel from aluminum/domed.....works great.

Skie_M

That plus the flat belt tends to want to track on the crown of the wheels .... very much in the same way that the blade on a band saw tracks on the crowns of the wheels.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lin, that is a very smart looking grinder. I was going to follow a similar design.
Does it still look brand new..???:biggrin:

Danny, yes...the motor I have coming is sealed. But thanks for the head's up.:wink: also...got a 4 pole motor ( 1700rpm) and 5 step pulleys.

Pete, stock wheels off Amazon. I don't expect the grinder will get massive heavy use, so hopefully the wheels and bearings will last a bit. :wink:

James, once I have a good selection of belts, it certainly will help with faceted shaped pens. Today I will make a horizontal rest and hinge the grinder to tilt 90deg.....well....that's the plan anyway.. swmbo may have other ideas:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lorbay

Lin, that is a very smart looking grinder. I was going to follow a similar design.
Does it still look brand new..???:biggrin:

Danny, yes...the motor I have coming is sealed. But thanks for the head's up.:wink: also...got a 4 pole motor ( 1700rpm) and 5 step pulleys.

Pete, stock wheels off Amazon. I don't expect the grinder will get massive heavy use, so hopefully the wheels and bearings will last a bit. :wink:

James, once I have a good selection of belts, it certainly will help with faceted shaped pens. Today I will make a horizontal rest and hinge the grinder to tilt 90deg.....well....that's the plan anyway.. swmbo may have other ideas:rolleyes:

Skip. Yes it still looks brand new. Lol. I have only used it once, I am in the process of building a 10" contact wheel for it. I have offered it to a knife maker I know and he laughs at me when I told him the price. $700 Ca. Have you seen the price of these things new.??:eek::eek:
Lin

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yep, they are crazy expensive. But a great fun and relatively cheap project.
There are so many designs, anyone can modify a design to suit the tools they already have. Many have a no-weld, no-milling design.
TBH, I haven't seen one with the same belt tension design I have used. Maybe I'll find out why, when I use it in anger:biggrin:

Skie_M

I don't see anything particularly wrong in your design at first glance. I see it's set up to easily change belts from the left side, but you have the tension and tracking at the same location. In most designs I've seen, the tension is in one position while the tracking is at another position, making them independent of each other, so that you can adjust them individually.

You may wish to put together a larger table (for the front face of the grinder) so that you can evenly and safely grind much larger pieces (long knives, short swords, long swords).

If you ever grind titanium ... be prepared for some extremely bright white sparks .... wear a face shield or some really dark shades.

Skie_M

Are you kidding? that's Skiprat .... the inventor of the screw-nut!

Go on, show him that triple-tapped nut! =D

mecompco

That looks great! I was investigating making one of the no-weld grinders when I was into knife making. However, that all got derailed by this pen turning thing. If you're making knives, one of these is almost a requirement. I did my one and thus far only knife on a 1x30 and lots and lots of hand filing.

Skie_M

Ive done several knives with my 1x30 Harbor Freight sander. I've even done some short swords ... the main issue with it is trying to find higher grit belts to take care of a lot of the hand sanding work... I've found that sanding with 400 - 600 grit belts puts a pretty good edge on the blade that you can buff the wire edge off of and have a very good cutting edge.

More4dan

That looks great! I was investigating making one of the no-weld grinders when I was into knife making. However, that all got derailed by this pen turning thing. If you're making knives, one of these is almost a requirement. I did my one and thus far only knife on a 1x30 and lots and lots of hand filing.

I did the opposite. Started making knives, made the 2 x 72 no weld design. Then got a lathe to make parts for me folders and made a pen. Not made a knife since, two years now.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom