60 degree live center recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I just had the back of my 60 degree live center come off while turning, and this is the second 60 degree live center that has died on me in 6-7 years. I like the size and function generally of these centers--I guess they are all being made by the same mfg. in China--these are sold from several distributors like PSI but what I would like is a high quality live center with these same dimensions--I have found several high quality live centers, but none with the dimensions of these frequently found low quality ones--I would say that these 60 degree centers are approx 1 5/8" at the base of the cone, and go down to a sharp point just for dimensional description. I would be willing to pay more for a good quality center of this size.

Any feedback/info is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

While this may not meet your size requirements, I use my OneWay live center with their 60 degree pen turning center. The standard centerpoint pops out and you insert the 60 degree center.

Dehn0045

littlemachineshop.com has a couple of options: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1592&category=

I have not purchased from them, but probably will at some point. Several IAP members recommend them often. They are more geared towards hobby machining, so for woodturning the quality and accuracy of their tools should be sufficient for most. I will be in the market for a new live center soon and will probably go for the one in the link above.

hokie

the back of my 60 degree live center come off while turning

I've had this happen with the live center Woodcraft sells. I simply applied a drop of thread lock, reassembled, and it was good as new. I've never had trouble with it since.

Fish30114

Thanks for the input folks, Dehn, the center you posted a link too at Little is nice, but does not have the size I want--it seems like if you go to a higher quality live center they tend to be smaller diameter at the rear of the center like the one you posted a link to. I've got a couple high quality live centers of that sort of dimension, I'm hoping to get a high quality live center that has dimensions similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HMBG2J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2O29APTAR6C6T&psc=1

Thanks again though!

Dehn0045

I'm hoping to get a high quality live center that has dimensions similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HMBG2J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2O29APTAR6C6T&psc=1

I did a little more searching on this for my own benefit, since I am also in the market for a new live center. It looks like the style in your link is typically called a "pipe nose" or "pipe point". Another similar common style is the "bullnose", which is often larger diameter but has the point cut off. Both are used for machining pipe and tubing. The bullnose are sometimes 70 degrees or more, some that I found are 60 degrees. The larger diameter of both styles is more versatile, but also appears to be more expensive to manufacture. Given this, its no surprise that the cheap ones that woodturners use fail so often.

The problem is that there really doesn't seem to be a mid-range for the "pipe point style", either the $15 junk or a Riten that will run you about $500. I couldn't really find anything in between.

Another option that gets pretty good reviews is the OneWay with changeable points. I couldn't find specs on the diameters. Nova has a similar set, but doesn't seem to get as good of reviews.

I think you might be better off getting a bull nose for larger diameter needs (typically good from about 0.5" to 2.5") and use the smaller point center for the rest.

Here are a couple of Bullnose centers that I think look half-way decent for the price:
Bull Nose Center MT2 | Grizzly Industrial
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3154&category=
http://a.co/d/aKBf9lj

Last edited:

magpens

I have bought the LittleMachineShop live centers in the $30 ballpark. . I have used them for 6+ years without problems. . And I have not babied them.

I don't understand why the back-end diameter is so important to you unless you are turning items considerably bigger than pens. . If the cone angle is 60 degrees (or so) and the back end diameter is about 1" or more the live center should work well for pens. . (In fact, if you are turning between centers, I would think that a smaller cone angle would be preferable ... but that is an "aside comment".)

There certainly are a variety of live centers in the price range of $25.00 - $1000.00. . My local machine tool store stocks some for $70.00 - $130.00. . I think they are triple bearing. . I have never seen the need to go even that expensive since the $30.00 LMS live centers have served me very well over the years for everything I have wanted to do including about 2000 pens and other things.

Last edited:

Fish30114

Dehn, thanks for those leads--you have found the same issue I have--there doesn't seem to be a decent 'pipe point' live center around--I too would not pay $500--but would go to $150-200 if I could get a really good one--it seems like the range is cheap or cheaper for these guys--which is silly because that size is so versatile--I'll keep on plugging
RTibbs I appreciate the input, but I looked at MSC in the early goings, and they don't have one of this size/type.....

flyitfast

Had it happen one time. Put some Loctite Blue on the threads, screwed it back in and no more problems. Now if I buy one, I put the same on the new threads. Problem solved.
Why don't I get a different center. I like the ones I have.

Fish30114

Tony, thanks for the link, I actually bought my 2 high quality live centers from them, but they don't stock a 'pipe point' sized center--Charlie W, I need to check my One Way live center to see how it's sized--maybe the ticket!!
Mag--and others, I am in fact turning pieces other than pens that the place I wish to use to register off of varies from a small dimple to a 1+" size hole--I don't want to switch back and forth to a bull nose center as they prevent me from getting my tool rest as close to the work as needed....the search continues:rolleyes:

JimB

Try Oneway, Robust and Powermatic. If I understand your description they all have what you are looking for. In addition the cone can be removed and you make your own custom cone and screw it on.

Robert Taylor

Could you post a picture of the broken/damaged center? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. The inexpensive live centers are usually only three pieces. a cone or the center, a bearing and the morse taper. Can you not put in a new bearing and continue to use it?

randyrls

I have not purchased from them, but probably will at some point. Several IAP members recommend them often. They are more geared towards hobby machining, so for woodturning the quality and accuracy of their tools should be sufficient for most. I will be in the market for a new live center soon and will probably go for the one in the link above.

LMS is very good quality. Checkout this one. The advantage is you can get close to the end of the blank.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4692&category=1963256899

Fish30114

JimB , I think your have steered me in the right direction--in fact I think I have a NOVA live center kit that may be that in my un-opened stock area--DOH! I will feel really stupid if that fills the bill. Thanks for your help brother--

Randy, I like the LMS stuff-that just doesn't fill the ticket---thanks though!

Top Bottom