4 inch dust extractor cover

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

From time to time the sandpaper gets sucked out of my hand into the dust extractor hose which is a few inches away from the spinning workpiece. Anyone have a cover/filter so that only dust/fumes will be extracted and bigger objects don't get through? Was thinking some kind of mesh but maybe there's an easier way which I've overlooked.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

From time to time the sandpaper gets sucked out of my hand into the dust extractor hose which is a few inches away from the spinning workpiece. Anyone have a cover/filter so that only dust/fumes will be extracted and bigger objects don't get through? Was thinking some kind of mesh but maybe there's an easier way which I've overlooked.

Get a piece of window screening material and place in front.

Tiger

That's what I was thinking off too but I'd like the ability to take on and off quickly, at the moment I'm thinking a rubber band but maybe some has a better idea.

jttheclockman

That's what I was thinking off too but I'd like the ability to take on and off quickly, at the moment I'm thinking a rubber band but maybe some has a better idea.

How about attaching some magnets to it. Glue some small pieces or strips of metal to the hood if it is plastic but if it is metal then good to go. I get 25 per hour to do this. So what else you got :)

Tiger

How about attaching some magnets to it. Glue some small pieces or strips of metal to the hood if it is plastic but if it is metal then good to go. I get 25 per hour to do this. So what else you got :)
Like that idea and the hood is plastic, I'll send you the 25 blanks tomorrow.

jttheclockman

Like that idea and the hood is plastic, I'll send you the 25 blanks tomorrow.

Blanks is one thing I will never ever need again in my lifetime. :)

monophoto

A suggestion (although it may not be a great idea) - if you are using plastic pipe for your dust extraction, you may be able to find a cap that has slots or holes. These are used in drainage systems to prevent small creatures from entering the drainage system and finding their way back to a source (eg, back to the sump inside your house). The only problem with this solution is that the openings might be so small that it compromises the suction in your extraction system.

Hardware cloth is another option. I buy it by the roll to make protective cylinders for my wife to use to keep rabbits and other small animals from eating her plants. Its easy to cut and bend, so you can easily make a cap that just slips over the opening in your extraction system. It comes in various mesh sizes - 1/2" is fairly common, but there are others.

But the best solution might be chicken wire - same idea as hardware cloth, but with a much larger mesh that allows dust and shavings to be drawn into the extraction system, but blocks flying sandpaper disks. The only requirement is that the mesh must be smaller than the diameter of the disk.

Last edited:

JimB

I have a round wire mesh thing that is used to go into the gutter drain pipe on the roof so leaves don't go down the pipe. It fits perfectly in the 4" dust collector hose and can be removed in about 1 second.

BCnabe

Last edited:

jttheclockman

If you have an old fan cut the grill to fit. Put some hinges on it so it lifts up or down or sideways whatever you want. I am sure they sell fan grills. Find an old fan in a dumpster or garbage someone is throwing out.

Next idea downspout wire strainer or gutter guard. Just stick it in the collector pipe. Probably the easiest thing to do.

www.guttersupply.com/m-aluminum-scr...a173&msclkid=d8597fddecfd1f904225249935c294ed

Top Bottom