4 inch dust extractor cover - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default 4 inch dust extractor cover

From time to time the sandpaper gets sucked out of my hand into the dust extractor hose which is a few inches away from the spinning workpiece. Anyone have a cover/filter so that only dust/fumes will be extracted and bigger objects don't get through? Was thinking some kind of mesh but maybe there's an easier way which I've overlooked.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
From time to time the sandpaper gets sucked out of my hand into the dust extractor hose which is a few inches away from the spinning workpiece. Anyone have a cover/filter so that only dust/fumes will be extracted and bigger objects don't get through? Was thinking some kind of mesh but maybe there's an easier way which I've overlooked.
Get a piece of window screening material and place in front.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:
That's what I was thinking off too but I'd like the ability to take on and off quickly, at the moment I'm thinking a rubber band but maybe some has a better idea.
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's what I was thinking off too but I'd like the ability to take on and off quickly, at the moment I'm thinking a rubber band but maybe some has a better idea.

How about attaching some magnets to it. Glue some small pieces or strips of metal to the hood if it is plastic but if it is metal then good to go. I get 25 per hour to do this. So what else you got
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would use 1/2 square hail screen. A real hardware store will sell you a small piece, a box store will make you buy a whole roll.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about attaching some magnets to it. Glue some small pieces or strips of metal to the hood if it is plastic but if it is metal then good to go. I get 25 per hour to do this. So what else you got
Like that idea and the hood is plastic, I'll send you the 25 blanks tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like that idea and the hood is plastic, I'll send you the 25 blanks tomorrow.
Blanks is one thing I will never ever need again in my lifetime.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 9

"hardware cloth" is the mesh you need, make a removable filter with it
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

A suggestion (although it may not be a great idea) - if you are using plastic pipe for your dust extraction, you may be able to find a cap that has slots or holes. These are used in drainage systems to prevent small creatures from entering the drainage system and finding their way back to a source (eg, back to the sump inside your house). The only problem with this solution is that the openings might be so small that it compromises the suction in your extraction system.

Hardware cloth is another option. I buy it by the roll to make protective cylinders for my wife to use to keep rabbits and other small animals from eating her plants. Its easy to cut and bend, so you can easily make a cap that just slips over the opening in your extraction system. It comes in various mesh sizes - 1/2" is fairly common, but there are others.

But the best solution might be chicken wire - same idea as hardware cloth, but with a much larger mesh that allows dust and shavings to be drawn into the extraction system, but blocks flying sandpaper disks. The only requirement is that the mesh must be smaller than the diameter of the disk.

Last edited by monophoto; 07-10-2018 at 07:07 AM.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I'm sure there are dozens of places to buy this: https://www.betterbee.com/hardware/g...All%20Products

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads