3D printer ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I have the Devince Jr. the one thing I would look for is to use third party filament. Ours we have to buy from the printer manufacturer. Other than that it works really well.

Ed McDonnell

Before you start thinking about printers, have you thought about where your 3D models are going to come from? Buy them? Create your own? For pen making you're most likely going to want to be able to create your own. There are a lot of free software programs you can play around with to see if 3D modelling is something you are going to be interested in doing.

If you end up hating 3D modelling (or just can't get the hang of it) you may not want to invest in a printer. If you find the free software packages too limiting and want the capabilities of a professional package, you should make sure you are comfortable with the cost before getting too excited about 3D printing.

FWIW

Ed

randyrls

Don: 3D printing is in its infancy. I have a printer, it is not working right now because I need to replace the part of the extruder.

What exactly do you want to do with the printer? What size? X, Y. and Z dimensions? That is the first couple of questions.

Get an assembled printer, not a kit. Make sure there is good community support for that printer. Don't count on company support.

There are two main types of printers:
Extruder and filament printers are cheap and need attention to detail to work properly. Not every print will be successful. Plan on failures. Prints take a LOOOOONG time; Hours to days (for large prints)

Resin bath and laser printers are much better and MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

YouTube has a channel called "Makers Muse" some time ago he posted a video on the prices from $200 to $1,000,000.

Thingiverse has thousands of 3D models premade and free (mostly). Not all the prints will work correctly. There are services that will print your 3D models for a fee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom