#3 Morse Taper Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbirt02

I am a new member to the IAP, and am trying to get my start turning pens. At the time, I have an ENCO 7x10 with a #3 morse taper in the headstock and haven't been able to locate a mandrel setup other than for a #1 or #2 morse taper. I have looked into finding some sort of conversion collar which would allow for the best concentrirty possible, but haven't had any luck. I've also considered undertaking the feat of turning a collar myself with my lathe, but have concerns about how acurately my lathe will be in regard to turing tapers of this type. Let alone the time intensiveness that is involved with turning a project to the accuracy that would be required of fabricating this piece. In a word, it's not practical to try turning this myself, when I can get a #1 or #2 for $15 bucks. I'd be loosing time and money off the bat before I have even turned my first pen.

Sorry to go off the deep end there with logistics, but if there is anyone that could give advice on this matter, it would be greatly apprciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
What exactly is it you want to do? Do you want to add a toolrest and turn with woodturning chisels, or use it as a metal lathe, using the compound and cross slide? If the latter, you can get a piece of size D drill rod and hold it in your existing chuck! Add a section of 1/4-28 thread at one end and center-drill it for your live center. Or, get a replacement mandrel rod from any of the suppliers. Woodcraft used to have one for $2.99 - maybe they still do. I would not recommend this if you were using woodworking tools, because it's fairly hazardous working with your handes close to the chuck. For hand tools, you can get a MT3 to MT2 adapter, then use a std mandrel

rwbirt02

My intent is to use both wood chisels and existing compound/cross slides depending on operation or material to be used. Thank you or all of your responses-I guess I was looking in the wrong places, as I was able to find exactly what I needed at grizzly once pointed in the right direction. Thanks again.

KenV

If you are mixing metal and wood turning, you will find it a real pain to clean all the wood dust and chips from all the oiled/greased parts on a metal lathe. Several hours of disassembly and cleaning with reassembly and readjustment to go from wood to metal will send you to a mini lathe for wood pretty fast.

On the other hand, you have already torn down a 7 By metal lathe to get it clean and running right, and already know how to do it.

Blessings

rwbirt02

Rightly said Ken...but you work with what you have to start with, and then move on from there. My wife and I have a 6mnth old, and I am making these pens as a way to work out a third income to supplement our budget from one month to another. Life has a way of making you work for what you want I am learning...
Thank you for the insight though.
There will be a day coming that I will be able to get my JET, and not have to be hassled with the process, but untill then...I'm just living life the best I can while turning kick ass pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom