17" Pro drill Press $180!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

It wasn't only an internet special because when I went into Sears with a printout of the internet special there was a large red sign on nthe drill press in the store. The manager had no choice but to sell it at that price to me. I also showed him the printout from their website. When I was paying for the drill press he asked rather loudly if anyone else in the store needed a drill press before pulling the sign off.

I also recognize their right to pull the pricing on an item that was inadvertently priced lower than their original or sale priced item. As an example how would you feel if you are exhibiting at a show and somehow a pricetag from a slimline was mistakenly put on an Emperor. A customer comes along and sees your mistake and demands that you sell that 200.00 Emperor for the 25.00 price of a slimline. Would YOU honor the price on The Emperor or would you tell him you can't sell it to him for 25.00 or would you swallow your pride and sell it to him after he DEMANDS that you sell it to him after he says it's your mistake.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />
As an example how would you feel if you are exhibiting at a show and somehow a pricetag from a slimline was mistakenly put on an Emperor. A customer comes along and sees your mistake and demands that you sell that 200.00 Emperor for the 25.00 price of a slimline. Would YOU honor the price on The Emperor or would you tell him you can't sell it to him for 25.00 or would you swallow your pride and sell it to him after he DEMANDS that you sell it to him after he says it's your mistake.

I hear what your saying Lance. But, your slimline example is kind of a "mom and pop" example. Sears is no "mom and pop" operation. I would treat mom and pop a little differently.

I agree with Karl though and so does my wife who worked retail for a long time and knows how it all works. What gets me hot is that I recieved my conformation/ready for pick up e-mail before I recieved the cancelation e-mail. The conformation came 12 hours after I placed the order. The cancelation came 4 hours after the conformation. If they couldn't get their act together in 12 hours then they ought to pay.

I told them that I was filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Oklahoma Attorney General. My sore spot is taht they should have never sent any conformation e-mails, they knew better.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Originally posted by karlkuehn
<br />

When you shop at a big company like Sears that has high prices to begin with, you expect to at least be able to rely on the premise that there's no incompetence in something so important as the final draft of the catalog of goods that they sell

Mistakes Happen

In days not so long past, a company like Sears would've honored the price for all those people (like you all) who were cagey enough to see the mistake and capitalize on it, and then afterwards heads would've rolled in the catalog department for such a colossal snafu.

I know that I would rather miss out on a deal than be partially responsible for a person losing their job over mispricing a tool...

THarvey

This was not a single person's mistake. A company this size has proof readers before anything is published and printed.

At one time Sears would have honored these orders, caused by their mistake.

We all are forgetting, we are not dealing with Sears any more. This is KMart, with a different paint job.

Dave_M

Originally posted by karlkuehn
<br />... As a web/application developer, I've worked for a lot of big companies that market things on the Internet, and have had to sit through business meetings that discuss issues just like this, and it makes me sick how they throw some nicey-nice BS in front of a concept that is underhanded and morally corrupt. I've heard things that would make your skin crawl...

Try working for a national corporate law firm. It was hard to stomach all the sewage flowing around the office most days. Not to mention the overblown egos.

When a company claims pricing error, there isn't much the consumer can do unless you can prove the pricing error was intentional, and you must prove it in a court of law. Basically, in the eyes of the court, the on-line store is innocent till proven guilty.

Most online stores, are managed by automated scripts and programming unlike your typical "brick & mortar" store, which usually will sell you the item because label sticking in stores is done by the employees. There is less leeway for the "brick & mortar" store to argue about it. As a smart business practice, most on-line retailers carry a disclaimer stating in the event of a mistake they are not liable to sell you the item at a reduced cost.

I doubt that this was an intentional attempt to defraud the customers. People make mistakes and yes it might irritate you but it's not enough to draw swords and go to battle. Not that I haven't done the same thing a time or two. [:D]

Too bad it didn't work out for those of you that were quick to jump on this. That would have been a really sweet deal. I was hoping to come back out here and read that it worked out in your favor.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by THarvey
<br />This was not a single person's mistake. A company this size has proof readers before anything is published and printed.

At one time Sears would have honored these orders, caused by their mistake.

We all are forgetting, we are not dealing with Sears any more. This is KMart, with a different paint job.

sorry, but it is just 'A different paint job" but the same old attitude. I stopped shopping at sears long before KMart bought them out just because of antics like this where they wouldn't honor their commitments.

rhahnfl

Reminds you of the old time snake oil salesmen. Sears has definitely changed in the past few years... and not for the better IMHO. Go check out the Steel City 17" at Woodcraft for 10 bucks less than the Sears model on sale and you'll get a longer spindle stroke (6") and a free laser alignment tool to boot. I looked on the Sears site and they don't even list the spindle stroke of their presses... at least I didn't see it.

carverken

I ordered the unit online. The listing said that I could not get it at the two stores close to my house, 8 and 15 miles away. I received an e-mail it was in the store 20 miles from my house. I drove up and they told me it was not. I had to cancel my first order and reorder at the store. They told me it would be in in 6 weeks (NOV 26th) We shall see. Wish me luck[;)]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by rhahnfl
<br />Go check out the Steel City 17" at Woodcraft for 10 bucks less than the Sears model on sale and you'll get a longer spindle stroke (6") and a free laser alignment tool to boot.

I think you missed a little of the point on this one. I don't think anyone here would buy the drill at the intended sale price of $479, but for $179 yes. The Sears came with the laser as well for what it is worth. Still have to play some with mine to see if it is worth anything. I had no intention of buying a drill press as I have two floor models and a bench model. The 15" Jet is used for heavy production. I also use it for drilling blanks. The import floor model was set up for a single non-critical operation as it had a little too much wobble. The bench press was used for pen press and another small production items. We bought the Sears to replace the import since we got it for the $179. If I was serious about a HIGH quality press and that was a back burner thought/item it would have been the Powermatic. But for the $179 it was a no brainer. IMHO, I don't think the Sears or the Steel City press is worth much more than $299.

Mike

les-smith

My dad went up to the Sears with me to pick up the drill press yesterday. He got all fired up after we left without the drill press. He just can't figure out how they could send a coonfirmation and then say, "nope not today". He just bought (1 week ago) a $1200.00 deep freeze from the Sears we went to. He called and said for me to come help him take the freezer back. He also said he is also gathering all of his Craftsman hand tools that are beat up and he's going to take them back and exchange them for new ones (lifetime warranty). He said he is calling the store manager that we talked to yesterday to make sure they know he is bringinmg freezer back (he's just not happy with it, hhhhmmmm)and all of his hand tools that need to be replaced. I told him I would gather up my hand tools that need to be replaced and bring them too. They may not have lost $300.00 by not honoring my drill press purchase, but they are going to lose way more than $300.00 when he's done with them.

GBusardo

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />My dad went up to the Sears with me to pick up the drill press yesterday. He got all fired up after we left without the drill press. He just can't figure out how they could send a coonfirmation and then say, "nope not today". He just bought (1 week ago) a $1200.00 deep freeze from the Sears we went to. He called and said for me to come help him take the freezer back. He also said he is also gathering all of his Craftsman hand tools that are beat up and he's going to take them back and exchange them for new ones (lifetime warranty). He said he is calling the store manager that we talked to yesterday to make sure they know he is bringinmg freezer back (he's just not happy with it, hhhhmmmm)and all of his hand tools that need to be replaced. I told him I would gather up my hand tools that need to be replaced and bring them too. They may not have lost $300.00 by not honoring my drill press purchase, but they are going to lose way more than $300.00 when he's done with them.

I would LOVE to be in that store with you [:)][}:)][:)]

woodman928

Hey Mike you better take another look at the Steel City stuff it does not even compare to Crapsman and yes I have the Steel City drill press. I also had a Powermatic and if it is the import dont wast you money you will be sorry what a pice of crap you cant drill with a small bit as the handles will hit the table first before you can start drilling that is if the handles are even still attached.
I have used a import Powermatic bandsaw and borrowed one form a friend of mine (he is no long a friend after letting me use that pice of ????)[B)]
I did use these items in a limited production shop that I had and Yes I do like PM tool just not the import crap (Modle 66 tablesaw rocks).
This is just my opinion but I think you will be sorry
Oh I also bought the 18" Steel City band saw and could not be happier with my choices. 5 year warranty is hard to beat.[:D][:D][:D]

JAY

NMDoug

Les-Smith

Your post about your dad really brought back some great memories of my father. I think he would reacted exactly the same as your dad. Enjoy your father while you can. That post made my day.

Thanks
Doug

Woo freaking hoo!

Just picked mine up at the merchandise window this evening, after it having been backordered.

I may have gotten 2 emails (cancel, then confirm), so I rolled with the most recent (i.e., we charged your card, go pick up your drill.)

I expected a fight, but got a drill with a freaking laser beam on its head instead.

joseph10s

Picked mine up at the store tonight. I, too, received two emails one cancellation and one receipt. My payment was never refunded so I figured I should call the store and see what was up. They said they didn't get their shipment in but a store close by had one left. I ran over there and picked that one up.[:D]

les-smith

We took our tools back and I made sure I went to the manager first. They acted like they could care less. I seriously mean these people could care less if they loose you as a customer. I guess if they keep this up we can bury them next to Montgomery Wards. We haven't taken the freezer back. I'm not sure if he will. He may have been more bark than bite on that one. I think he feels it may be to much work for something that's not his problem in the first place. I don't blame him and I won't ask him to take it back, but the gesture was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom