#1 MT drill chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brent Essery

Hi, I live near London Ontario and I am having trouble finding a #1MT drill chuck so I can make bottle stoppers on my lathe, my lathe isnt big enough to fit a #2 MT. Anyone have an insight as to where I am able to find one of these close to my location? If not near me is there a good inexpensive online place where these are available with quick shipping?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

PSI has one - they are in Philadelphia. They also have a stopper mandrel that is less expensive than their Jacobs chuck. My preference would be the mandrel - a Jacobs chuck is great, but you would also need a drawrod (you can make your own using 1/4"x20 allthread, a nut and a block of wood) to hold the taper into the spindle of your lathe. Also, the arbor on the PSI Jacobs chuck has a J33 taper that holds the chuck itself on the arbor, so you would need to use your tailstock to keep pressure on the workpiece to assure that the chuck remains in place. The mandrel threads onto the spindle, and while you would probably want to use your tailstock to put some pressure on the blank while you initially turn it down to a cylinder, you don't need to be as concerned about the workpiece coming loose if your turning puts lateral force on the workpiece.

Do you have a faceplate? If so, you can always make a chuck. Bore a hole in a piece of waste wood that is large enough for a 3/8" bolt. You will need some screws to attach the waste block to the face plate, and a 3/8"x16 bolt that is long enough to go through the waste block and 1/2 - 3/4" into the stopper blank.If your faceplate has a center hole, simply run the bolt through the hole, and screw it into the bottom of the stopper blank. If your faceplate doesn't have a center hole, you will need to bore a hole to receive the head of the bolt - that hole doesn't need to be precise, so a spade bit would be fine if you don't have a forstner bit.

bradh

Got mine at Lee Valley too.
You can get them at Busy Bee, but you need 2 parts, the Jacobs chuck, then find a MT1 adapter that works with that chuck. Not all chucks they sell will have MT1 adapters available.

leestoresund

bottle stopper

I turned 2 pieces of wood with a slight taper to fit inside the headstock.
Drilled 3/8" hole in each and put 3/8" allthread with washers and nuts on the ends to hold it in place. Stopper blank screwed onto one end of allthread.
Might have cost 11 cents.

Top Bottom