1/2 carbide skew chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Where to buy? I was using PSI 1/2" skews and they are discontinued. Who sells good quality skews. Suggest a quality brand. Thanks. Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Frank. Are you looking for carbide skews as you wrote above or HSS skews?
If HSS. You are going to have many excellent ones to choose from. I happen to own:
D-ways: D-Way Tools - Quality Wood Turning Tools Invented by an International Woodturner.
Doug Thompsons: Home - Thompson Tools
Sorby: https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/
And even a few Benjamin's Best

I use D-ways roughing gouge and skew 99% of the time. Of the chisels that I own, it seems to hold sharp edge longer and the handles are very comfortable. All that being said, I just turn pens and a few bottle stoppers; I would hardly consider myself a woodturner, nor do I have the experience of most or tried all of the quality skews out there. Enjoy the hunt!

Last edited:

WriteON

I would hardly consider myself a woodturner, nor do I have the experience of most or tried all of the quality skews out there.[/B] Enjoy the hunt!

Disagree. You're a talented woodturner at what ever level you work at. Quality is your nickname. Ok thanks...I will research the skews.

Charlie_W

Don't forget about Alan Lacer and his skews.
Also, what shape skew? Regular angled or radiused?
What shaft? Regular rectangular, oval, radius bottom edge?

WriteON

Don't forget about Alan Lacer and his skews.
Also, what shape skew? Regular angled or radiused?
What shaft? Regular rectangular, oval, radius bottom edge?

Hi. The only skew I have used is Benjamins Best from PSI. I'm familiar with the shape/widthcontour and would like to get the same. Instead of describing I'll post a picture.

JimB

I took another look at that skew. On the first page it says 'Out of Stock' but when you click on it for a more detailed description of the item it is listed as 'Out of Stock - Discontinued' even though there is the option to get notified when it is back in stock.

From the picture it looks like an Oval Skew with a carbide tip. I don't think I have seen anyone else with a carbide tipped skew.

Top Bottom