1 1/4 x 8 Stainless Nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

First off let me go on record, I've already done a search and looked in the Library but I didn't find anything helpful. I am wanting to buy some 1 1/4 x 8 stainless steel nuts for building various faceplates etc. I've looked at McMaster Carr and Amazon and haven't found any reasonable options, the fellow I saw on YouTube I liked used nylon insert lock nuts, but didn't say where he got them. So that would be what I wanted ideally.

Any leads links would be appreciated,

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

There is the good news and the bad news. The good news is that for 1 by 8 threads, there are lots of choices at low price.

The bad news is that for 1 1/4 by 8, which is a non-standard thread, there are not many choices and the ones there are expensive.

Fastenal does not have a stainless nylock nut in 1 1/4 by 8. They do have it as a coated steel nut for only $40 and change.

1 1/4 by 7 is the NC thread, and is easily available. 1 1/4 by 12 NF likewise.

I do like nylock because they have thread relief with out machining out 2 or 3 threads. Use them on the 1 by 8 lathe because they are about a buck rather than 40+.

Mallable iron or steel nuts can be found for a few bucks.

You can get the nuts machined for thread relief and with washers welded (wbnoble.com) for $18-$19.

Have not tried alibaba

Fish30114

Thanks for the input folks, I've found what Fastenal offers, and Grainger--same ol, same ol, the 1 1/4 x 8 is not very commonly available....going to keep Googling and still open to any leads from anybody--

Thanks--Don

duncsuss

Are you willing to consider alternative ways to achieve your objective?

I don't mean "alternative ways to make a faceplate", I mean "alternatives to a faceplate".

One option -- Beall make a 1.25" x 8tpi tap, with that and a 1.125" Forstner bit I'm able to make pretty much any piece of wood screw onto the headstock spindle.

Another option -- Nova make what they call "faceplate rings" -- metal rings with screwholes to fasten it to a wood blank just like a faceplate, instead of having a threaded boss on the other side they have a dovetail which fits over the standard Nova chuck jaws.

KenV

Got a metal lathe to cut out the thread relief and true the face??

Can be done on a wood lathe but ugly with hand held tools.

I have to have the thread relief on my lathe.

Truing the face was better then the work arounds.

If you find something, let us know. Have looked a bunch with out success.

Have purchased a few of Bill Nobel's product. They do work.

Top Bottom