%^$#@ Belt sander up in flames

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Literally. I used it yesterday and all was well. Used it this morning and all was well. Decided I needed a new belt because it was not doing a right fine job. Got new belt on tightened it up tested for even tension a couple of times. On the third check I had it, so I flipped the switch to turn it off and FLASH :eek:the motor burst into flames. Quickly unplugged it, put out the flames and will wait for it to cool off before finding the reason. Nice adrenalin rush this morning.

Now I have no way to square my blanks. And I need to replace the belt sander. :mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Yep, I went to turn on my grinder this morning and the on/off switch fell apart. Had to tear into in a replace it.

Texatdurango

......Now I have no way to square my blanks. And I need to replace the belt sander. :mad:

A belt sander........ for squaring blanks! :eek:

If you happen to have an old motor and pulley around, pictured below might be a solution for you. I made this a few years back and it works like a charm. Cost me nothing since I already had everything in the shop in one place or another.

I put a few photos in my IAP album..... http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?u=3779

Haynie

So....How?

It was fate. I came up with a much better way to square my blanks.

At the bottom of the page. Totally fits my slow anal nature when it comes to this kind of thing.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87296

A belt sander........ for squaring blanks!
Don't square the blanks on the belt sander. The disk sander runs at the same time. Took me for freaking ever to get it just right too. belt sander took the corners off the blanks.

Got two pens done today with the new method and there is much less stress.

Last edited:

workinforwood

I just watched some movie a few days back where this guy used a belt sander to round a guys face! wow..that's was nasty. I don't know what the movie was called, but it was some girl went to the swamp in Louisiana to avenger her dad's death from some swamp creature..come back from the death to avenge itself on the people that originally killed it. Not a good movie, but not to bad on the gruesome scale of things. I'd watch it again.

Top Bottom