"indoor" shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

blake_l

One of the many reasons she is the LOML...

She has graciously agreed to me bringing the lathe inside to try and avoid "some" of the Houston heat that is quickly arriving.

Here's the question - anyone else have a lathe in a room that has other uses, and is not separated from living spaces by a "sealed" garage door? Just wondering what kind of problems I may run in to, precautions to take, etc. Particularly interested in dust / chip handling.

This will be in a front room of the house - it has a garage floor epoxy finish, so I'm set there. I have 2 choices for corners to take over - one is adjacent to a wall with windows in it (vent dusty air to outside, maybe?), the other corner would be two plain walls. It's also the room where the doggie jail is, so I need to be careful of that. I

Thanks for any help!
--Blake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Binkley

I also get a corner of a corner of (in my case) the laundry room. The key things for me at least were the air cleaner and the dust collector. My Dc is a Fein vacuum cleaner. When I turn (that's not me BTW) Chips fly all over, but the dust is either sucked into the collector or the air cleaner. No complaints so far, and I just use a second shop vac to pick up the chips...

200741315539_1-28-2007%207-55-44%20PM_0001_resize.jpg

Draken

My shop is in the basement, I use a 2hp HF dust collector, the trashcan pre-separator, a triton air shield while turning, and I'm waiting for my Jet AFS-2000 to arrive to help control any latent dust that may try to migrate to other areas of the house. The door to the basement is not air tight as that would interfere with the HVAC system. If I find it necessary, I'll get a smaller air filter system and put it in the stairway leading from the basement to the rest of the house. And I'll soon be replacing the stock bags on my DC with a canister (as budget allows).

Narwhale

Blake,
To many factors to consider. For example, my lathe is big and likes bowls on it often. I wear a turners smock and shake/blow myself off at the end of the session. My wife still get upset about the dust and shavings that come in attached to me, often on the back of my shirt or in my hair.
I live on the SW side of Houston, and yes it is hot. But I can turn outside with my back to a fan and let the shavings fly. I don't think turning inside a house would work long term. Thinking of noise, storing supplies and wood, shavings flying, sanding dust floating around, smell from my strange finishing concoctions, forgetting to turn the lathe speed down as the first finishing coat goes on,....
Guess the other thing is my shop is my space. House space is hers. Will always be hers as long as she stays. I want her to stay and be happy. I want her OFF my butt.[^] I work/play on my lathe in MY air conditioned garage.[8D]
Rich S.
PS Where in Houston?
PPS Read: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22101&SearchTerms=houston

ctwxlvr

my shop is in our "storage" room and I use an exaust fan to create a Negitive vacume in the room this helps keep the dust from moving to other areas of the house.... that being said I still have problems with tracking chips all over the house and having a long hair cat helps that too, but to keep the LOML happy I help with the house work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom