Wood Identification Contest Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I will announce the contest winners sometime today and I will also reveal all the correct answers.

For now though, I just want to share the number of correct answers for each blank.

1 -- 0
2 -- 6
3 -- 2
4 -- 5
5 -- 9
6 -- 11
7 -- 0
8 -- 3
9 -- 5
10 -- 4

A real puzzlemeister should be able to figure out most of these woods from this information. Give it a try if you like (no extra credit though). :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

As predicted, you stumped all who entered. I don't have a hope of figuring it out even with the hints you have given us.

1. ????
2. Jatoba
3. Lotebush
4. Bloodwood
5. Bradford pear
6. Swiss Pear
7. ????
8. Andiroba or Brasil
9. Texas Ebony
10. Chinese Tallow

Just a guess that 1 and 7 are pecan and camphor or vise versa.

You are a tough puzzle creator Ed.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Consolation Prize Winner

By random draw, the winner of our consolation prize is

W. David Bohon (eranox)

Congratulations Dave, you have won a $25 gift certificate to an IAP vendor of your choice. This prize was provided by an anonymous donor.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Third Place Winner

With a score of 4 correct IDs, our 3rd place winner is:

Allan Maclean (allmaclean)

Congratulations Allan, you have won a prize pack from edohmann - I hope you won't be too disappointed with it. :wink:

Allan just joined IAP in July and he beat out a bunch of our seasoned vets for this prize. See, no reason for our new members to be shy about entering these contests.

We actually had a tie for 3rd place. Terry Gearhart (gimpy) also had 4 correct IDs, but Allan gets the tie breaker for getting his entry in earlier. Sorry, Terry.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Second Place Winner

With a score of 5 correct IDs, our 2nd place winner is:

Kelly Moore (Krash)

Congratulations Kelly, you have won a set of Jr Gent Abalone Blanks from brownsfn2.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
First Place Winner

With a score of 6 correct IDs, our grand prize winner is:

Wayne Richardson (1080Wayne)

Congratulations Wayne, you have won a $50 Gift Certificate from Classic Nib.

All that great practice on George's contests really paid off for you this time. :biggrin::biggrin:

Krash

Whoo HOO !!!

Thanks Edgar for hosting a stupid-hard contest for us to pull our already-thinning hair out over! :biggrin:

And ... Congrats to Wayne for rising to the occasion!

The outright winner getting only 60% is a tribute to Ed's debased mind.!!

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Thank you Edgar for a fun but very challenging contest My thanks also to Classic nibs for their generous prize donation .

By the way Edgar old friend , we would all like to know what #1 and #7 are . Or are you keeping those in reserve for the next time you torment us ??

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
And now the answers

The correct answers for the Wood ID contest are:

1 - Mopane
2 - Jatoba
3 - Lotebush
4 - Bloodwood
5 - Bradford Pear
6 - Swiss Pear
7 - Wood Apple
8 - Brasil
9 - Texas Ebony
10 - Chinese Tallow

I enjoy collecting and working with rare and unusual woods, so I thought I would include a few in this contest.

Mopane & Jatoba are fairly easy to find from commercial sources, but I don't often see anything made from them. Most examples that I have seen are fairly plain and unspectacular like those shown here.

Lotebush is a relatively small, brushy shrub that is native to Texas. It's difficult to get many good blanks from one, but it has coloration similar to that of Eastern Red Cedar, so I thought it would be fun for this contest.

The Bloodwood blank threw many of you off because it is a good bit darker than most Bloodwood, so it looks very similar to Redheart. I ordered this particular blank from Griffin Exotic Woods and they indicate that dark bloodwood like this is very difficult to get.

Bradford Pear & Swiss Pear are fairly recognizable and most of you did get these right - or at least got close.

I don't remember where I got my Wood Apple blanks, but I haven't seen any since and they do look very similar to Yellowheart or Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I think I listed the scientific name of one of the close cousins of this particular blank by mistake, but I doubt if that made any difference in this contest.

Brasil is also known as Texas Ironwood. It's extremely dense and hard. It's another fairly small, brushy shrub and difficult to get much useful wood from the limbs or trunks. This particular example is from some roots that my brother dug up when he was clearing brush on his place. It's easy to mistake for mesquite if you're just looking at it, but there's no mistaking it if you can actually handle it.

Texas Ebony and Mun Ebony (generally from SE Asia) can look very similar. The Texas Ebony that I have is heavier and seems harder than Mun Ebony, but I don't have a lot of either to make definitive comparisons.

Chinese Tallow is generally a nuisance shrub/small tree in Texas, particularly in the gulf coast area. It is a very fast growing tree and for that reason is sometimes planted on purposed. It's wood is fairly light colored, but it can sometimes resemble the sapwood of pecan or hickory. I chose this particular blank for this contest for that very reason. It is much lighter and softer than pecan or hickory though.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Thanks for playing & I hope you enjoyed the contest.

Edgar

Attachments

• Blanks1-5WithNames.jpg
    Blanks1-5WithNames.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Blanks6-10WithNames.jpg
    Blanks6-10WithNames.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 277

gimpy

Congrats Allan

With a score of 4 correct IDs, our 3rd place winner is:

Allan Maclean (allmaclean)

Congratulations Allan, you have won a prize pack from edohmann - I hope you won't be too disappointed with it. :wink:

Allan just joined IAP in July and he beat out a bunch of our seasoned vets for this prize. See, no reason for our new members to be shy about entering these contests.

We actually had a tie for 3rd place. Terry Gearhart (gimpy) also had 4 correct IDs, but Allan gets the tie breaker for getting his entry in earlier. Sorry, Terry.

Top Bottom